The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiosity, has anyone built a combine trailer? I don't mean a combine header trailer, I mean a trailer to haul the actual combine. I have been doing a little custom work for the neighbors, but word spreads, and tires(and drivetrain parts) are expensive. So far any trailer I have found has been well over $15000, which is a little spendy. I'm wondering if its possible to build it cheaper and if anyone has built one, so I can get an idea of price and design.

Thanks.

· Registered
3,675 Posts
That was my thought as well, that there could be an issue as far as the trailer being legal/deemed road worthy and capable of hauling X amount of weight because it wouldn't have a certification and engineering behind it to back it up. If that was a problem, I don't know how one would certify it as who would want to stick their neck out because of weld quality or what have you. Certainly something to bring up with DOT, licensing branch, your insurance provider etc

· Registered
9,740 Posts
Online auctions, watch things like Big Iron and Purple Wave, most of the time they give them away.
I bought a very nice one but it's a pintle style a few years back with no cracks or welds, excellent tires and brakes, all lights working for 4,000$
My intentions were to beef it up with a third axle and make a sprayer trailer but its been handy as a combine trailer.

· Registered
133 Posts
I worked for a custom cutter out of Walton Kansas back in 2001 and he had made his own,some with A frames to pull behind a rigid and couple with goose necks to hook onto turntable, remember them looking very simple and strong,this was 2388 days though machines compact and light

· Registered
19 Posts
we built our own forage harvester trailers. very similar to a combine trailer. tandem axle pintle hitch, 2 12inch Hbeams in the center. 5x5 square tube cross members. all new steel used axles. cost was right at $7,000 in 2002

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.