The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at setting up a new bin site this summer. Currently thinking setting up 2 4209 bins with full floor air with 25 or 30 hp low speed fans, North Star 11 inch center unloads with 15 hp. 5 temp cables inside ladders and one stair case accessing both bins. Currently favouring Westeel but also looking at GSI or Grain Guard I guess just wondering what others that set up bins in the past what they would have added or what one bin has as an advantage over others. They are all quite similarly priced as well.

·
Premium Member
8,232 Posts
I have some 4208 bins and lots of 24'-33' diameter Westeel wide-corr bins. They are good bins but I don't have any comparison to other brands. We have a great local dealer and Westeel as a company has been top-notch to deal with, so I have no reason to do otherwise.:)

All my bins are on sealform's which is really nice for keeping moisture out, just need to make sure form is level before pouring cement......double check that!;)

Don't get an inclined unload auger, waste of power and more to go wrong. Dig a small hole underneath if you have to.

One thing that I have done is put wheels and handles on a few 10HP fans so I can wheel them around like a wheelbarrow and I use extension cords from various plugs around the yard. Then I connect the fan to transition with an air sock: Tarpco Manufacturing So instead of a fan on every bin that gets used for a couple of days per year I have a few fans that get used steady for a few months.:) I don't have the power to run fans on all my bins at once anyway. This likely won't work for the 4209's but I figured I would mention it because it has worked so well for me. I use the galvanized protector sheets that come on outside of the bin-sheet bundles to make covers for my transitions when not in use.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was told gsi has the strongest roof and westeel has the best takeout. The only Grain guard bins I have seen had damaged roofs and none of the other brands around there showed damage. I went with westeel and am very happy with them. If you use dual fans make sure to have the shutter in case one fan goes down. The lump buster is also cheap insurance and easy to build yourself.

Reread post one large fan is much better and cheaper than dual fans if three phase is available.

·
Registered
609 Posts
We've had good luck with our 2 GSI and 5 Brock bins. If you do put multiple fans on, either get a computer system, hook each bin up to a master switch for the fans or get someone to help you turn them on or else they'll feed air through the fans that are off. Other than that I can't really think of anything off of the top of my head in the way of advice since most on-farm systems aren't like ours.

We have a leg and all of our bins have cone floors (which I never hear about from anyone north of us :confused:) which are extremely convenient when pulling out of a bin, especially at the end but this also means I can't give you any advice on augers.

·
Registered
880 Posts
just bought another bin as well,
been 36 diameters or 35 not 100% sure.
brock had some issues with bins but sticking with them so far.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also should have mentioned that being located in south west manitoba these bins will mainly be use for wheat (red spring or winter) oats or canola. Bins won't be used for drying grain just condition and storage. Also have no power at site right now as planning on site being 4 miles from main yard site and present bin location currently. So working on setting new site up with 600v 3 phase.

·
Registered
278 Posts
It may seem like a pretty obvious thing, but if you go Westeel, make sure the full floor is for small seeds. I worked for them for a few years and lots of complaints came in that the air floor filled up with canola, and when it was checked, they went with the cheaper corn floors (bigger holes).

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Grain guard has changed their roofs now, supposed to be leading edge, not sure. We are thinking of a couple 3607's, they are the best price in this neighbourhood.

·
Registered
58 Posts
We built two GSI 4210's last summer. They have 2 15hp high speed fans (was told low speed fans are best for corn not small grains) and full floor air on each of them. We filled them with tough canola and even with that tall grain column the air flow at the top inspection lids would nearly blow your hat off. We also really like the open eve on the GSI that lets the condensation on the inside of the roof drain down to the outside of the bin rather than staying inside and running down the wall on the inside. They have seven roof vents also. We put hand rails on the roof ladders and they add a sense of safety when you are that high up. The two bins are side by side and one spiral ladder goes up between them, and the ladder starts at the front of the bins too. The unload and sweep system sure worked great to empty and clean up. Overall very satisfied with the GSI bins and plan to build some more in the future as long as they are priced the same as other bins.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sounds like your going to set it up right. I can't say with bins are best, as I only have Westeel. A few points to refresh your memory on. On the Westeel bins I believe they have an option for two ring supports on the roof, can't remember the extra cost but it's in not much and makes the roof stronger if you fill your bins up completely. Change out a few temp sensors to the moisture sensors. I know they are expensive and perhaps not all the accurate but it still gives you a better idea of what is going on in the bin. Also for location pick a spot that has Lots of room now and for possible expansion. And if need be build up a pad for your bins to sit on. Nothing worse than having to load in the mud or in winter frozen ground and you can't get the auger under the unloader.

·
Registered
313 Posts
We have put up a few 30000bu brocks over the past couple of years and really like them. The only complaint I have is the northstar and brock unloads we put on the first ones were a piece of crap so the next couple got springlands and I love them. The drag may be a little slower but the cranks work great and the augers run so smooth you barely hear them running.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Go with the Westeel. Brock bins have L shaped pieces that connect the roof to the sidewall (not a continuous connection to sidewall), whereas Westeel has a continuous L shaped channel which has more bolts that connect the two (sidewall and roof). Not sure if that makes sense the way I describe it.

Have filled Brock bins with canola and if the auger wasn't perfectly centered in the lid opening, we have had canola flow out the back between roof and sidewall because it is not a continuous channel, but just clips that connect the two that are maybe every 18 inches or 2 feet apart. We have both Brock and Westeel, but the ones on order for next year are Westeel.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Go with the Westeel. Brock bins have L shaped pieces that connect the roof to the sidewall (not a continuous connection to sidewall), whereas Westeel has a continuous L shaped channel which has more bolts that connect the two (sidewall and roof). Not sure if that makes sense the way I describe it.

Have filled Brock bins with canola and if the auger wasn't perfectly centered in the lid opening, we have had canola flow out the back between roof and sidewall because it is not a continuous channel, but just clips that connect the two that are maybe every 18 inches or 2 feet apart. We have both Brock and Westeel, but the ones on order for next year are Westeel.
Those clips allow the roof to be set with a larger space off the sidewall. Works great for cooling grain after the dryer or any other application where you need the moisture outside the bin walls.

Does that solid strip let you have a gap?

·
Registered
123 Posts
When we aerate our grain we usually rely on the vents to let out the warm air out etc. The Westeel bins does not let you have a gap which I think is good, all that gap is going to do is let these 70km wind gusts blow canola all over the ground. Also we do not put high moisture grain in our large bins...that is asking for expensive trouble.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts