The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody know if a 50 series or non bullet rotor 60 series john deere combine can be upgraded to bullet rotor, and if so how much does it cost to do so.

any input appreciated

·
Registered
48 Posts
I know some guys that had it done at dealership. A 9760 upgraded to bullet rotor, I THINK the cost was about $12-15K. That was 2 years ago, and it is a guess. So, yes it can be done.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Quote:I know some guys that had it done at dealership. A 9760 upgraded to bullet rotor, I THINK the cost was about $12-15K. That was 2 years ago, and it is a guess. So, yes it can be done.

Yeah that sounds about right for a dealer. I did one earlier this year- rotor around 8 grand and 25 hrs labor. Dealer will try and convince you that only they can do the job cuz of the install tool. I built my own tool in 3 hrs and for about $100 in bulk steel. Yes, a bullet does fit in a 50 series but just changing to bullet elements will get you 80 percent there for a fraction of the cost. Elements can be changed in 3 hrs.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's more then i expected, all i combine is small grains (canola, barley, wheat, lentils, peas and alfalfa) so maybe i should just wait until 60 series or 70 series are a good price, what do you guys think.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I'd go for the rifled threshing elements, if nothing else it's cheaper than a new combine and for 80% increase I'd choose that over $150k+ for a new combine. Just me though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know Loewen will take your standard JD rotor and convert it to a bullet rotor. From what I have read and heard, bullet works pretty good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Re: bullet rotor, Loewen parts

Just after sending my earlier response, I saw a comment further down about Loewen not making anymore JD parts. I mentioned in my comment that you can get a conversion done at Loewen, from standard STS rotor to a bullet rotor, and I know they continue to manufacture all JD parts and continue to add more every year. There has been no slow down or change that I am aware of.

·
Registered
57 Posts
it is not very good idea unless you have good pocket book. you can trade for about same money and have a newer machine. unless your machine is woreout and it all needs to be replaced anyway.

·
Registered
400 Posts
i put one in a 9750 last winter, customer ran a field cultivator shovel through it and ended up poking some holes in the rotor and the top covers, so it was all covered by insurance.
that customer runs 2 9750's, both 01's, both chipped, both have 635F heads. couldn't really tell a difference in soybeans, not sure of the bpa, but i would probably call them average so around 35-45.
i agree w/ greentech, you are probably better off just switchin the elements on your rotor, unless you have a lot of mog that is struggling to get through (bullet should help with this), or the rotor is damaged or worn out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts