The Combine Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to purchase a used 9860 to replace an older 9650. I am trying to decide between 2 combines, one is a 2005, and the other is a 2006 with the bullet rotor. Will I see any capacity improvement with the bullet rotor? I rarely cut anything other than wheat. The local red dealer is also trying to to sell me a 7010, is the IH even in the same class?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
The local JD guys claim that theres 20% more cap. to be had with the bullet in wheat/durum. Also more capacity in pulse crops and canola, maybe 10% or so more. Thats what my in-laws have experienced in there 9770 w/bullet from a 9760 w/o bullet. (Yes small increases in machine capacity have been factored in).

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
Go with the bullet hands down, under any circumstance. So much smoother, it allows you to work the combine but not feel like your flogging it. IMO, wheat is one of the only crops you can actually use the big power of the 98 in, so thats what I would stick with, a 97 would show a capacity decrease. Compared to a crop like canola where a 98 and 97 are almost identical.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you combine in mostly dry conditions, the bullet rotor will be of no advantage...maybe 5%. But if you get into tough conditions, then there is about a 10-15% advantage.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Has anybody run a Kuchar rotor against a bullet rotor? I've heard all kinds of claims about the aftermarkets, but haven't heard of any side-by-sides.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've run 9860 2005 non bullet against a 9870 two years now. IMO the 60 is a great machine with power matched to cleaning capacity. The 70 with the bullet always has more rotor losses than the older machine. I combine wheat in tough and dry conditions. You can push more through the bullet without as much pounding, if your willing to accept the increased rotor loss. I've also run a 8010 beside the 2005 9860. I suspect you would run out of power if all you cut is wheat with the 7010 compared to the JD.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts