The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Myself and many others are very disappointed in the failure of Butler to reestablish a new dealership in or near Hastings Nebraska to replace the recent collapse of the dealership at Titan Machinery. Agco and Titan couldn't seem to reach an agreement and now many customers are without the support that a full line dealership can provide. It is especially angering to those that bought new Agco products the last two years only to find the rug pulled out from under them. Worse yet is the lack of information from Butler as to their intentions. probably their silence was the answer in they have no interest in Nebraska west of hwy 81. It sure leaves many customers in a vacuum and Agco seems to be no better than Butler in their commitment to this area. It will most certainly drive most of their customers to other brands sooner or later. Shame on you Butler and Agco equally.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Our Agco dealer was Titan (Fairbanks) in Hastings as well. I was really pulling for this Butler deal to go through as well. I however hadnt heard yet that it wasnt going to happen. I'm sure there was some bone headedness all across the board here. However, from what I've heard I think you can primarily thank the city of Hastings for this huge failure. Instead of being happy with Butler wanting to come into their backwards ass run town and bringing in the extra business, revenue, and tax dollars, etc....The city of Hastings was trying to force Butler to use an existing, and abandoned, facility which was in a piss poor and hidden location, instead of letting them build their own facility in a location of their choice. And if anybody knows anything about the city of Hastings this should really come as no surprise. I've never seen a town fight growth and change as much as Hastings. But as the rumor goes, and fingers crossed, Butler is looking at other towns near Hastings such as Doniphan or Grand Island. Which would be just fine by me as well.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I hope they expand west of Hiway 83. All we have out here for red is 2 Titan dealers within 60 miles of each other, if they go away it becomes over a 100 mile trip to get parts/service.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You might need to visit with Lang Diesel, they've expanded in Kansas and I think into Missouri. Hastings and further west in Nebraska shouldn't be out of line for them. Just a few years ago it seemed like Agco was putting dealers in every little town, especially if they had lost dealers of other flavors.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True that the town of Hastings has an economic development board that is essentially an agent trying to peddle old, abandoned buildings from failed companies or businesses that pulled out and left them holding the sack like Coleman, but I'm sure that Butler outfit was looking for some sort of freeby cherry deal as well. These are all sharks whether they are cities, or businesses. Can't expect things to be much different. There is plenty of areas outside city limits to place a facility so that in itself is no excuse. One could suppose that Butler looked at potential market share in this area and concluded that Deere and to a lesser extent Case Ih had everything sowed up. Very difficult to begin displacing Deere sales with Agco products especially without a very competitive pricing structure. Butler being associated with and working on the Caterpillar model is probably not known for being overly price competitive. Agco doesn't seem to work very hard either to build customer confidence or offer a competitive pricing structure.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
You might need to visit with Lang Diesel, they've expanded in Kansas and I think into Missouri. Hastings and further west in Nebraska shouldn't be out of line for them.
I do use Lang in Colby from time to time but its still over 100 mile drive, Regier in Madrid is 60 miles away and the closest agco dealer to me. But I would sure like to see a large agco/claas dealer to move into my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Butler just built a new facility in Fremont and are going to have a dealer in Pickrell. They also have a building in Kearney with plans to upgrade there. They also have what to me looks like a huge inventory of used equipment. Maybe they weren't too enthused about spending a lot of money right now.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I would not want to be in the machinery dealing business right now. It's tough to find workers anymore... and moving new equipment is getting more impossible by the day as bankers are now saying "you ain't buyin' nothin'" after the 2014 profit projections are coming in. I know we all get gouged by the dealer, but I have some sympathy - it isn't how it used to be.

·
Registered
256 Posts
This is the reason I said goodbye to AGCO, never know from one day to the next, if you will have a dealer. Looks like once again, AGCO has proven that what they really excel at, is stepping on their dick's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts