The Combine Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a new combine for next year. I don't have prices from the dealer yet. Is there any reason to buy a 9770 over a 9670 other than factory power settings? The cost savings between the two should just about buy a new engine if there is a problem down the line.

The only other choice is a 7120. No other brands have any service anywhere around here.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Not sure how you have priced it out, but I think you will get the pro drive on the 70. Also, the clean grain elevator is bigger which is a help in corn. All in all, will worth it IMHO, not to mention resale.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have wondered about this too. They are the same machine except the 97 has 40 more hp. The programmer would give you that but probably void warranty if ur dealer didn't want to stick behind it.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kinze, if you skip the pro drive it reduces the list price of the 9770 by about $6500. I have never needed to shift my 9600 or 9650 in the field, so I will skip the pro drive (unless someone can persuade me why it has value).

·
Registered
37 Posts
A 96 is a great machine but a little weak at times for a 12 row head. My main problem is the elevator not being big enough which causes grain to fall into the fan. However I'd rather go 3-4mph than 6-7. There ARE difference other than hp.

·
Registered
50 Posts
WHere does it say that theres a diffrence in the clean grain elevator? I looked all over jd;s website and cant find anything.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Comparing them visually there is a difference. The 96 has a 78bu/min elevator while the 97 has a 100bu/min. I can see a difference in person and have been told by many. I'm sure someone else on here can show you a link??

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It does say in the new sales brochure the 97 has a larger clean grain capacity than the 96. Larger augers and a faster elevator.

The self leveling sieves are optional for the 97, but not available for the 96.

·
Registered
123 Posts
They need to change there sales brouchers then because by looking at them the only difference is hp. Also pretty much every where else I have looked has led me to believe this too. This is the first place I have seen that told the differences.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree that it should be clearly stated, i was led to belive it was only the horsepower and after all the disscusion we went with a 9670 and have it chipped 20%, running a 612C at 4 mph fairly flat land 200bushel corn, and a big top graintank. works pretty well

·
Registered
50 Posts
Have the 9.0 liter engine, tried the TS Performace didnt work at all, then tried a Bully dog one and that threw codes also, Currently using a Agricultural performace chip, have it turned up all the way to 20% and wish there was more lol, but very happy with it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts