The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are currently upgrading our combines and are looking at a 9760. are there any small things that i should be looking at, do they have a good track record? this would be the first step into a green machine for us so i want to know if anybody has had problems with them. your input would be appreicated. thanks

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We run a R62 and a Tr98, the problem is thre is no gleaner dealer around. if there was one, we would without question get another gleaner, We have an awesome new holland dealer here and are also working on a 960. whoever has the best deal wins. I am just curious about the 9760 performs. Not against others, but problemwise, is it a troublefree machine, are their tricks to know? You know what i am getting at.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I know for a fact that a 960 will run with a 9760. I know a stock 960 will do edibles just as good as a Deere with the Amadas edible bean kit. That farm took it off their Deere when the 960 did the same without a kit. The CR and 7010 are years ahead of Deere. Have you thought about an Axial Flow?

Take care,

Nathan

·
Registered
588 Posts
Nathan, can I please have some of what you are smoking?
There is NO WAY a combine is going to do a decent job of dry edibles without a belt unloader. You simply DO NOT know what you are talking about. How much personal experience do you have doing kidneys with you CR...none, I thaught so.
We have a 06 9760 and it was ROCK SOLID, NO DOWN TIME AT ALL!!! This was in about just under 3000 acres of wheat, corn and edible beans.
We did about 850 acres of wheat and would average 1350 bu/hr DELIVERED (no grain moniter BS) all day long.
In corn we were delivering 2500 (wet) bu/hr all season long.
This machine was awesome.
Light years behind...maybe in recalls and downtime as CNH tries to get the problems ironed out.

I am certainly not saying that the new CNH machines are crap, but they have a pretty blemished record as of now and I think you need to take your blinders off.
Did you lose a loved one to an accident invoving a JD years ago?
Why the hatred?

·
Registered
894 Posts
The 9760 STS isn't as large of a combine as Deere would like for you to think that it is (I use to have 9750's, and they aren't 1230 corn or 36' draper soybean combines, that's for sure). An STS has plenty of power, I'll give it that, but not enough cleaning capacity or feeding efficiency for the power that it does have (I think tri-stream feeding is only a theory)...it isn't a well balanced machine. Deere tries to distract you from the the STS's lack of balanced performance by giving the STS ample power and comfort. The STS burns way too much fuel for me too (more than 1 gallon per acre is too much for me to deal with anymore). I could never seem to get the same or better grain quality out of the STS as I did my 9610's, no matter what the manufacturer, dealer or any one of the STS pros suggested doing, unlike the suggestions for a 9600 or 9610. The STS didn't seem to operate as consistently in tough beans either like a cylinder machine does. The wide cylinder and its concave seem to me to be more foregiving than the corkscrew of a rotor when forcing tough material to change direction and speed simultaneously. The only benefit I ever saw the STS have over the 9610 was its power. The CR 960 is a larger combine with much better use of power due to its twin 17" dia. rotors. The Lexion 560R is also worth a look. The 560R may be a class six but definitely gives the 9760 a run for its money and with a 35' flex head too, and less than half the grain loss of an STS and so much better grain quality. The Lexion's new cleaning system is amazing! I run Lexions now (since 2001) and probably will never change unless something better comes along and that's a long-shot and it won't be from a single rotor combine either!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Don't care how far the dealer is, you'll save in the long run. Buy a GLEANER out cut out perform the rest. Told ya you would save. As the old saying goes "buy the best ta heck with the rest"

·
Registered
508 Posts
Calm down, just a little discussion. Which part of what I said contained hatred? Be interesting to know. No blinders here. No ones died in a JD. Didn't mean kidneys. Black beans. No one does kidneys with a regular combine unless you have a year like '06. And it still wasn't a problem. I've done black beans no problem with a CR940. Do it every year. Unloaded with out a problem. Give em too me dry it won't matter.

Take care,

Nathan

·
Registered
588 Posts
Black beans are NOT kidneys.

"I know a stock 960 will do edibles just as good as a Deere with the Amadas edible bean kit"

You said edibles...you did not specify. There is no reason to run an Amadas kit for whites or blacks so explain your statement further.

"No one does kidneys with a regular combine unless you have a year like '06."

From what I learned this year, I fully expect we may never pull cranberry beans again. I am looking into a belt unloading system for the STS and am also VERY confident that I can make top grade with DRK's over 17% moisture.
You always learn more from poor years than good ones and this was no exception. The clipping performance of our 630 hydraflex with crary air real and old style cast iron JD crop lifters was amazing. Field loses were very comprable to a top rate pulling/combining combo.

Anywho, back to the original question. The 9760 is not the biggest, nor the best in all areas BUT it is a very dependable solid machine that you will not be dissapointed in. I doubt it will let you down for many many hours. JMHO from personal experience...not 'my neighbours buddy...' stories.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:Don't care how far the dealer is, you'll save in the long run. Buy a GLEANER out cut out perform the rest. Told ya you would save. As the old saying goes "buy the best ta heck with the rest"

Agco dealer is 2 hours off, Case and Cat are 1 hour, Deere is 25 mins. And New holland is 10 mins. The best in service of them all is the NH. We were dealing with Case, he had a good deal but then we thought if we can go one hour, we can also go two and get a Gleaner. We have ran Gleaners long before i even took the breath of life, and we love em. But there is a dealer issue. so we decided to go with Johnny or NH.
Our TR98 is a 1998 machine with 1500 hrs and our gleaner is a '93 with 2500 hrs. It had the big deutz but we put in an L10 with 310. mmmmmmm lovely. The Gleaner saves a lot more grain then the TR and is a simpler and tougher machine. But the new Cr's and STS's seem good.
it will be one of the two.

·
Registered
36 Posts
the guy i worked for had an 04 - 9760 i think it was, good machine, the ac pump caught fire in the field once though, dunno how, but he also ran a 9610 and 9750, we noticed that the housing for the conveyors on the 50 and 60 were made of much thinner tin then the 10, so we patched a few holes that rubbed through the housings from the grain rubbing against it, ( im talking about the return elevators and such) so that was abit of a problem with them, but as far as capacity id say the 9760 is a good machine

·
Registered
588 Posts
Hey, that reminds me Alex, on our last field of corn on Dec. 30 (man I hope I never have to do that again) the exhaust pipe broke off the turbo. We finished the field and have not had the pipe replaced as we are waiting for good weather to clean the machine and take down the road to it's winter resting place.
I guess we had some trouble after all.
I also agree about the air scoop, it was the biggest improvement to the 06's next to the rotor.
What type of edible beans did you do and at what moisture?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I didn't get the chance to do any. They did navy's, pinto's, and kidney's I think... not sure on the moisture. My boss has a username on here maybe he'll see this.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Honestly I would not be afraid of a 9760 myself. I ran one everyday all summer '06... the only problem I encountered in over 300 hours on it was a chopper belt (pre-delivery was wrong), AC system, factory defect in condensor, and a crack in the exhaust tube off the turbo but that was a problem in all 12 of our machines.

I pushed a 36ft draper around all summer and I never really had a problem with the machine lacking power except in really green irrigated straw (140+/- bu.). My machine had a minor problem with sheering off the sheer bolt in the unloading auger drive chain sprocket, not sure why but if I shut the auger off full of grain I would have to restart it with the idle on low, then power it back up and go again.

I never had any wear problems on the machine, nothing rubbed through or anything like that if you keep the chains tight.

I would throw grain over if I tried to run over 6mph taking a full 36ft. swath but other than that hardly would I throw any over.

On the edible bean note, my bosses harvest thousands of acres a year with STS combines without belt unloaders. They do however put on slow down kits, but not the belt unloaders. They said if you just idle down the combine and unload on low there's not many more splits vs. a belt.

Also the fuel on the '06 9760sts seemed better than the previous versions and also the air scoop and bullet rotor made a world of difference. I think the '06 was better on fuel by far than the previous models but that is personal opinion. I didn't really keep track of the comparison. If you have the option of putting the air scoop update on your machine I would do it. It keeps the radiator/filter much much cleaner than the old open screen side. The bullet rotor if you can install it, you can run longer and not notice it getting as tough. It also requires a lot less HP than the old rotor.

Just my $.02, let me know if you need any more info - Alex

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for them all guys, but keep em' coming. i will have to start the same thread on the New holland. to see what you guys say about them.
I think we are going for a Yellow one. They threw us a deal that we would be crazy not to accept. but time will tell. Deere might sharpen the pencil yet.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Quote:Thanks for them all guys, but keep em' coming. i will have to start the same thread on the New holland. to see what you guys say about them.
I think we are going for a Yellow one. They threw us a deal that we would be crazy to accept. but time will tell. Deere might sharpen the pencil yet.

Don't let $$$'s be the final / ultimate decision factor. You'd be surprised at how quickly dealer benefits begin to fall away as the retail price gets less and less (Don't think the dealer isn't going to make up the difference on the parts and service side. Most dealers have an unofficial variable scale which they use to measure customers by and how to bill them). First and foremost, keep product quality and dealer support at the top of the list, after that, price. Keep asking the dealer what they're going to do for you as each time the price changes / lowers and get it all in writing.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He wouldnt dare do such a thing anyway i dont think so. He has been verry good to us all these years. In fact that same salesman sold us our two r6's in 87. then he maved to the nh side. there he sold us a used R62 in trade for one R6 and then a couple years later the other one for a used TR98, and now he will probably get us buying a 960.

If there is one determined guy out there, he is the one. He badly does NOT want us to go green. But we told him we are not married to anyone. the best deal gets us. So far he is $20000 less. BTW both Deere and NH dont want our machines. we will get rid of them ourselves. Hopefully.

·
Registered
508 Posts
True I never said "Black beans". Since thats all we grow I just say edibles in stead of saying black beans over and over.

"No one does kidneys with a regular combine unless you have a year like '06." This year guys had to direct combine kidneys since we never got enough dry days to pull. Biggest problem was header loss but least they got them off.

You still haven't answered this for me- "Which part of what I said contained hatred?"

Take care,

Nathan

·
Registered
778 Posts
There's a lot of STSs out there so it makes sense to see some problems here and there, simply due to the large volume of combines. Quite a few of my customers (No, I don't work for Deere) have owned a few different colors, and have ended up with STSs in the past few years. Most recently one farm traded a Cat 480R for a 9760 after running them side by side all season. And their neighbors were impressed by the same machine vs. their CR960s and now they want to trade. The confidence in green around here is tremendous. Make sure you think twice about your decision.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Quote:I'm not sticking up for any brand but I think we need to look at things from a level playing field:

Quote:Most recently one farm traded a Cat 480R for a 9760 after running them side by side all season. And their neighbors were impressed by the same machine vs. their CR960s and now they want to trade. The confidence in green around here is tremendous. Make sure you think twice about your decision.
What is your local CAT dealer support like? New Holland support? Deere support?

Could you further describe the 480R versus 9760STS comparison?

The CR960 versus 9760STS experience?

Yes, please describe further this comparison. Having owned both brands and demoed them side-by-side, I know first hand what the reality of this demo is. The reality is what convinced me to trade 2 9750's for one 485 Lexion and not look back. Since then, I've traded for my third Lexion and Deere still hasn't come with combine with capacity enough to off set the productivity and economy of one Lexion replacing two class 7 STS's.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts