The Combine Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a welding system for my farm. have been looking around and have my eyes on the
ROSSI TIG/ARC Plasma Inverter Welding Machine - CT620iS

but seems not to have much reviews.

Has anyone any experience with these machines or advice, thanks ....

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Are you experienced with TIG welding? Nearly all multiprocess welders are, well, full of compromises. Most can only do arc welding or DC TIG (steel only), and the TIG function is really just scratch start. I follow a lot of YouTube fabricators and none of them recommend these multiprocess welders, especially for someone not experienced in TIG.

The only multiprocess welder that I've seen any positive reviews of is the EverLast 221STi, which isn't cheap (but way cheaper than any crappy Miller welder).

Honestly if you want a decent welder, believe it or not the Harbor Freight MigMax 221 is a decent little welder, for up to 1/4" steel, and it's a true MIG. Might seem like too small a welder for a farm, but we've been running for years with a Miller 211, and that's adequate for nearly all repairs and even some fabrication.

·
Premium Member
2,366 Posts
I have an everlast plasma/tig/stick welder. It is ok. It is 6-8 years old now. I should look what they are putting out now. Amazed how fast they have grown and came along very quickly. The plasma is annoying to start a cut compared others I have used. The stick is one of the best I have used. Did not buy it for the stick part but welded a pile of caps on packer wheels with it. The plasma is ok. All the consumables are odd balls. Get something you can buy the consumables locally. It will be worth it and likely better quality. I do have to say the customer support was as good as any when I had to use it. Mine had bad shipping damage and they worked with me to get it replaced. Then had a few little issues they did great with. Like to get a dedicated plasma and Tig some day. But I bought this because it was what I could afford at the time. It has saved me a few times so I would say it was worth it.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I am looking for a welding system for my farm. have been looking around and have my eyes on the
ROSSI TIG/ARC Plasma Inverter Welding Machine - CT620iS

but seems not to have much reviews.

Has anyone any experience with these machines or advice, thanks ....

It really depends what you want to use it for. If mostly cutting, get a hypertherm powermax. And if you want to do some tig, and if you have a DC Welder, just do a scratch start with a torch and bottle. I use it all the time and you can weld pretty much anything - even stainless but not aluminum since you need AC pulse for clean/weld. Years ago, most TIG was done that way. Scratch and go.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sometimes the suppliers have high end used stuff for good pricing. Sales guy I know at Praxair sold me a slightly used Lincoln liquid cooled Tig with the foot control for just over $1000. New would have been well over $4000. Came out of a school with very low useage. Also have a separate Panasonic mig stick combo welder and a Hypotherm plasma that does 3/4" My cutting torch seldom gets used.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Years ago I frequented a welding forum. The Everlast and some others were frowned upon, I had no experience with any other than the brand names. Hypertherm was the best plasma of any I have ever used, and what I own.

I used to do all forms of welding other than Al. TIG. On that forum some of the nicest aluminum TIG welds I saw were done with DC.. He just used Helium gas

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Multipurpose machines seem like a bad idea to me. If one goes down now everything is down. If you have a helper for a project you can’t do both at the same time. If I was buying a import machine I would go to a store not online and I’d buy the extended warranty

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Someone on a welding forum gave a good tip. If the on/off switch is on the back of the machine, it's an import machine, made in China for both Europe (where the switch is required to be on the back) and North America. If it's made in the US, it will have its power switch on the front of the machine, where it belongs.

My little Millermatic 211 welder... power switch on the back, made in China like all the cheap imports. And yet still commands a Miller premium for what is really a poor machine.

I've heard very good things on the welding forums about Everlast. It's certainly an import, but has local dealers in North America. A number of professional machinists and welders seem to have them and like them. Been keeping an eye Everlast TIG welders. Not sure about their plasma cutters.

I've also heard extremely good things about the import Primeweld Tig 225X. It's just over $800 USD, and comes with an excellent torch and a real gas flow regulator with the float ball indicator, not just pressure gauges.

For a small mig welder (1/2" steel or less), I've heard very good things about the Harbor Freight Migmax 215 welder. They say it's a better machine than the equivalent Millermatic 211 and a third the cost. I can attest that the Millermatic 211 is not a great welder, though.

·
Registered
792 Posts
My Hypertherm switch is on the back, it is likely made in China. I think most everything is now..

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
My overly expensive and none-too-powerful Thermodynamics Cutmaster 45 has the switch on the front. A good machine but wish it was the 85.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I’d be afraid of a multiprocess welder but saying that I got a princess auto power fister mig/stick combo for Christmas. I use it for flux core so far and it serves the purpose doing light stuff. If I was welding steady I’d have a Lincoln or Miller stand alone. I can get by most times with stick as we have nice stick machines.

·
Registered
792 Posts
My overly expensive and none-too-powerful Thermodynamics Cutmaster 45 has the switch on the front. A good machine but wish it was the 85.
They were in the ones I have used and were a good Plasma cutter. IMO

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
When I think of it at least 3 of my welders have a switch on the front. I have several miller welders which I really like. I bought a used miller electronic arc welder that can dc weld at the farm progress show with 100ft long cables. Those long cables have been a life savior sometimes when you can not get stuff right into the shop. I also like my Lincoln 110 welder for welding steel that is less than 1/4 inch. My old miller 200 has been a good mig welder when the wind is not blowing. I find every welder does certain things better than others. I would sooner have several welders than everything in one machine As stated before when one goes down it is nice to have a back up. Torriem I have the same plasma cutter as you and it has been good. When I checked into the higher power ones you need a heavy breaker and wiring to run them.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Good point about the wiring. Hadn't thought of that. Electrician recommended 40 amp breakers for general low duty-cycle welding. Might need more than that for 85 amp plasma.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I believe hypertherm is American made. Everlast is hit or miss on quality. There are a lot of guys that tout them on you tube or other forums but many of them are sponsored or get machines for free demos.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts