The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys,
so last fall during harvest had tire go flat on the combine, we were almost done our 2nd last quarter. So managed to borrow a neighbors service truck to lift it up and take off the rim and tire.. anyways his truck is an 80's chevy with 6.2L 2wd reg cab dually with a service body he made, not pretty rig but works great... so I been looking for one and found a 79 chevy service truck from new, one ton dually reg cab, use to be Town of Brooks originally and trying to convince the old man that we need it, has under hood compressor, truck overall is in great shape! $1500. I could go buy it but like to swing everything by the old man if you know what I mean, so any help to convince him would be great if anyone can think of anything.
Matthew

·
Registered
474 Posts
The under hood compressed is worth that much. I have a 86 ford 1 ton dually with a compressor and 11 ft service body, generator and welder would not be with out it any more. Don't know how we survived with out it now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea that's what the neighbor said, he said if I didn't have a service truck he would go buy this one yesterday hahaha.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
We used to have an old Manitoba Hydro service truck. F-250, but it had F-350 suspension/axles. (Pain trying to find a spare tire for it until we realized the axles were F-350!!)

It was great while we had it, but the cab eventually rotted down to nothing. Traded it in on one of those "Bring in yer clunker" deals. The salesman said we could keep the service body which we did. Haven't set up another truck with it though.

Seriously thinking of building a trailer to drop the body on instead.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
hey guys,
so last fall during harvest had tire go flat on the combine, we were almost done our 2nd last quarter. So managed to borrow a neighbors service truck to lift it up and take off the rim and tire.. anyways his truck is an 80's chevy with 6.2L 2wd reg cab dually with a service body he made, not pretty rig but works great... so I been looking for one and found a 79 chevy service truck from new, one ton dually reg cab, use to be Town of Brooks originally and trying to convince the old man that we need it, has under hood compressor, truck overall is in great shape! $1500. I could go buy it but like to swing everything by the old man if you know what I mean, so any help to convince him would be great if anyone can think of anything.
Matthew
GO and buy it, while it's still available! You can't even buy much of a GoKart for that money:).(as long as you don't have to replace all the tires):eek:

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
We bought a power company fl80 twin screw that is our service truck. 10 ton crane digger Derrick and bucket, makes an awesome service truck. Thought we would use it some but we use it all of the time. This fall for example I had a cylinder perch break, on the drill. Pulled to the edge of the field, lifted the drill with the crane and welded it all up, 10 minutes down time tops. Would have been very difficult to do otherwise.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Only downside I'm seeing is that at $1500 you will probably have to invest some money to safety it for plates... otherwise it's an uninsured field truck that isn't all bad either. I agree... buy it for the body and compressor and if the powertrain is junk, all you need is another cab/chassis. I almost bought a safetied school bus for the same purpose, but was left in the dust by a ball team. As for the old man, you're going to have to start making your opinion known at some time, or you'll never have a say in the working relationship. My dad is 86 and we still argue things out, and I find that it makes for better decisions with more options being considered than one person does on their own. As for jacking up combines, you don't need a service truck, just good jacks.... which of course you can now store in your new service truck.

·
Registered
955 Posts
For that price, buy it. I do believe it would need a safety, but being an ex town unit I would amuse that it would be in pretty good shape.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Yea...probably got more hours idling in front of the coffee shop than working in the field. Should be pretty easy miles compared to the oil fields or a Hydro unit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys, thanks for the input.. The truck will need safety but it will be done at time of purchase, the owner of it right now had it pass inspection 2 years ago no issues... He didn't use it much.. So think I'm gonna get over there week or so and get it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
My dad bitched, moaned, whined, and complained when I built my service truck. Now I never get to drive it, because him and the hired man take it everywhere. Also, if you ask my father, it was such a good idea, that he decided to have a service truck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
haha yea that's how she usually goes. im not sure what color I want to paint her now, was thinking either john deere green with yellow bumpers and rims, or IH red with white bumpers and rims. let me know :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
We want to get a new service truck on the farm, use a chevy 3500 with a flat deck and 454ci. would like to have a diesel engine and purpose built service body. Would like to get an old Sask power/energy truck and transplant service body.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My dad's work truck is a 3/4 ton diesel with extra leaf springs. If he needs tools he drives back to the shop, seriously.

My truck is the same, but I at least have a toolbox and basic tools (wrenches, rachets, chain/binders, tow straps, jumper cables, etc)

Farmers down the road a piece have an older Chevy 3500HD Medium duty diesel with 4x4 conversion and a service body, welder, air, etc. I want it so bad!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I won't farm without a service truck. I built one off a 2003 f250 chassis that I picked up for $3500. I has bought a service body at a consignment auction for $50 and waited to find a chassis. I added 3 extra leaves to the springs and now she does just fine. I wouldn't build one without 4x4, we are always fixing things out in the field. I have a gas welder/gen set, gas compressor, torches, all tools, ass. Fluids, ass. Nuts and bolts, and 100 gallon barrel. The nice thing is the compressor is mounted on a side box and the welder is mounted in the front of the bed above the fuel barrel so I still have a 4x6' bed for misc. steel, jacks, spare tires, parts, etc.... We've always wanted to scale the truck but I'd be scared, lol. It never leaves the farm but gets used daily. I don't even have much more than a basic tool set in the shop, the truck is our mobile tool chest. I would like to find a 4x4 utility company 2 ton truck to do it to next. I'd build one with a crane and a 350 gallon barrel next time.

·
Premium Member
2,207 Posts
I have an F550 with service body, a 6000lb hydraulic crane, and hydraulic air compressor. I love it. Paid $16K for it about 5 years ago. Paid for it being as a mechanic then started farming. I wouldn't get rid of it.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
That's about what we paid for ours lanwickum, got offered $30k cash for it this summer. Actually we paid 12 but by the time we modified it, had a transfer tank built and put a new transmission ecm in it was well north of that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Found my service truck on the internet about 3 years ago. Ford F650 club cab diesel with 22.5 rubber all on aluminum buds. Allison automatic with Knapheide 11' x 60 '' service body. Love the club cab for the room. Equipped the truck with miller welder/generator/screw compressor combo for efficient use of space. Don't need reservoir with this compressor. Carry 400 gallon diesel fuel tank as well as 60 gallon DEF tank. Oxy/acetylene torch and American eagle custom fit tool drawers were also added. All hoses and cables are on self retracting reels, [air, fuel, DEF, welding gas, welding and electric cables} Just finished installing swing out iron worker on rear of truck,{press ,punch, brake & sheer combo} . Rear heavy duty step bumper provides good work area for 5" bench vise. A well equipped service truck can add tremendous efficiency to any farm.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts