The Combine Forum banner

Buying equipment in 2021

8K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  BarST 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, whats everyones thoughts on equipment buying in 2021? I know in Saskatchewan it seems like if you find something that works you better buy it before its gone.

We've done some much needed updating this year maybe spent a little more then we wanted but out of the couple of dealers we were dealing with only one has been coming through finding us equipment.

Wonder after this covid how long these shortages on equipment will continue to affect agriculture?

Ive heard seedhawk is already 2 year behind on production.

#3 ·
No buying, didn’t yield enough to even break even on expenses this year. Don’t have to buy any seed next year is the only positive. Won’t be buying any fert until spring, and likely will only be nitrogen. Equipment wise, I don’t need anything. Getting ready to go to work for the winter to pay bills.

#4 ·
Looking at a used sprayer. Got a quote last year and decided not to do anything.
Got a quote this year and the sprayer was 13k more, a year older and no warranty. The one last year the dealer was going to throw in 2 year power train. So **** it either look at auction or do nothing

#7 ·
Hehe ya this is a diff sprayer but pretty much same options as last year
Honesly with out some extended warranty might as well but from an auction. I thought there might be some deals since it was such a **** year but I guess not

Reactions: torriem
#6 ·
Im sorry i didnt mean to make this thread seem like gloating, we were lucky and one of the few areas that got a bit of rain.

Sadly its like torriem said everything has appreciated so much more, we havent updated some of our equipment for 20 years and thats the stuff we were replacing but it was the big ticket items. And we had to pay dearly for the equipment we've secured.

Hopefully mother nature will smarten up and give everyone some much needed rain. Doesnt seem fair that in a year with such a widespread drought that they can jump the price up on everything.

#8 ·
Most equipment or vehicle lots still look quite empty in southern Manitoba. GPS equipment from john deere is really back logged and I drove past the Murrays chevy dealer in winnipeg and was shocked how few trucks sitting on the lot. Probably only a quarter full. I think most guys will be happy with the status quo this winter and spring.
I usually count on some of the 15-20 thousand acre farmers to buy new equipment so I can jump into that stuff when it 5 years old. If those guys stop buying , down the road there will be a shortage of good used equipment. We will feel this production shortage down the road.

#9 ·
I bought a excavator the other day from Alberta. I wanted a 200 with a thumb and there were few to choose from but the ones here in Sask at Can American had higher hrs and the cabs were left dirty in the pictures. No pride in resale IMO when you see that. I called to talk to a salesman and he never returned my call. I guess business is so good you don't need to worry about calling back at Can American or clean up your equipment. I called Alberta Equipment after looking at lower hr machines on Kijiji with similar pricing on their website. Cabs were spotless and plastic on the seat even on the machines I was interested in. Going to cost me $3200 to get it here but it's ready to go to work I am told. I heard complaints from JD guys That jumped from Pattison in Preeceville to Cervus Melfort for the same reasons. If you are a regular walking through the door they kind of lose their drive to make you happy as they think you will just keep coming back. Competition has dropped dramatically over the yrs creating this but you still can choose where you shop!! Even out of province.

#11 ·
We've got a number of John Deere wheeled loaders and our experience with Brandt is less than stellar. I guess when you're a large construction outfit they know how to work with you, but not a farmer who just has a few electrical or hydraulic issues. Consequently my cousin just brought home a large (actually huge) Case loader and by and by the John Deere is going to the auction. If I'm looking for construction equipment and I have a choice, I'll go with Case every time. Parts and service through my local RME dealer. With Deere, we have to call Brandt and they send a tech down from Calgary. Very expensive!

#15 · (Edited)
Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
This was the only deal we ended up getting. Got it home on a Wednesday went through it and was running by Saturday. Just curious does anyone know some background info on this machine. They ended up hauling it to Allen Olsen’s from Saskatchewan, they were trying to buy it back and got caught. They phoned me 3 hrs later saying the guy couldn’t get financing and was wondering if I wanted it….. as i was swathing 20 dpa of canola lol!! So I pulled the trigger on it sight unseen.
Wheel Tire Photograph Automotive tire Product

#25 ·
Why not do some maintenance on the stuff you have and carry on for a few more years with it?
Send a message to dealers that they're overpriced. We have choices. No-one is forcing anyone to buy in a high market!

#28 ·
Makes sense but I’m told a lot of the big dudes lease/trade every so many years. Cost per acre ect

Don’t think there’s a whole lot of fixing if your running 6 combines hehe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.