The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
No clue on going south, but our low dollar should be helping you out. Usually used vehicles move easier than new ones provided they aren't too old. I think you need to spend some time with a broker or someone that has been involved with the transactions before. Some things that come to mind are that the speedometer etc. will be in Km's and not miles... not a big issue once you get used to it, and the smog equipment may not meet Calif specs for it to go south.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've only bought a vehicle in CA once, and it was more than a few years ago, so things may have changed.

The only issues I encountered were with registration and the import documents. The truck I bought had been registered in SK since new. Saskatchewan doesn't (or didn't at that time) issue a title to the owner of the vehicle. The only proof of ownership was the annual registration receipt.

When I went to register the truck in MT I found out that our state requires, in the absence of a title, a proof of ownership paper trail between all parties to the transaction. I called the dealer I had purchased the truck from and they got a bill of sale from the previous owner to them, issued a bill a sale to me, and that made the state motor vehicle folks happy.

The other minor problem was with recording, with Revenue Canada, exactly who was exporting the truck. The dealer had filled out the export papers before I came to pick up the truck. They told me that I just had to sign those and leave them with Canada Customs when I got to the port. When I got to the border, the
Canadian agent looked at the paperwork and said "This isn't right. The dealer listed themselves as the exporter. You bought the vehicle and brought it here. That makes you the exporter." It was an hour before the port closed and it would take longer than that to drive back to Shaunavon, get the paperwork right and make it back to the border. Fortunately, I passed through that Port of Entry often enough that I was known to the staff on both sides. The Canadian officer stamped the import papers, gave me my copy and tossed the other copies in a file cabinet. "Nobody ever looks at this stuff, anyway" she said. Things were a lot more relaxed pre-9/11.

The other issue to be aware of is that vehicles assembled in CA may not have the sticker on the door post which affirms that the vehicle complies with all US emissions and safety regulations as of the date of manufacture. American customs folks will look for that even before assuming you are a terrorist. So, make sure you have found a US-compliant vehicle before showing up at the border or you will have to leave the truck in the Great White North until it has been made to comply with US rules and has all the documentation to prove it. A couple of my neighbors ran into this problem and it was rather expensive and time consuming to deal with.

Mark

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
I've imported 2 vehicles from Canada into the USA(one older car, one newer truck). I let the U.S. Port of Entry know that I was coming a couple of days ahead, (not necessary but just a heads up for them, they were prepared and seemed to appreciate it). You need proof of ownership, and they help you fill out all the necessary paperwork. When you get it back to your state, you need a letter of conformity from the manufacturer, very easy to get and doesn't take long,I recieved one of them same day via fax, all this letter states is the vehicle has no outstanding recalls and when built new would have conformed to all North American emission standards.
You will be familiar with your state laws as to whether you need an emmisions test or safety inspection before allowing you to register it in your state.
It's a fairly simple process. Canadian government did not require an export permit for vehicle to leave country, unlike USA to Canada where USA border needs 72 hours notice of exporting a vehicle and must export vehicle from USA.
I wasn't required to stop at Canadian side of the border at all.
I would assume not allot has changed as it was 2012 when I Imported the last truck.
If it's a good truck and a good deal I wouldn't let the process be a deciding factor especially with an $.87 Canadian dollar.
Best of luck

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
When I brought my Freightliner tandem across from Canada to the states it had to have a sticker on engine that states it meets US EPA standards for emissions and a sticker on door frame stating it meets US safety standards. My dealer knew that so he made sure everything was in place.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you want a reputable company to do your paperwork call Cross Border Trading out of Glenwood Alberta. They import into the USA everyday and will do all the paperwork and get you through the border or will arrange for you to be able to get it on the USA side if you like. I have used them to import several heavy trucks and a few vehicles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.