The Combine Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
found out today that cp has some 20 plus locos sat in moosejaw rail yard they can not start caz they where shut down at the start of winter
as they thought they would not be needed

just think how far ahead mangement think ahead ? no wonder rail is so slow moving grain etc

cant see why they cant nudge them into a heated shop to get um running

also they have cars snowed in they cant move

so i guess as soon as road bans are on they grain will start moving again

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Even if they had to tarp them, fire up some heaters, drain all fluids and replace with winter, etc they would still be money ahead by moving freight!

Also heard that CP layed off a bunch of people and parked loco's to make the financials look better - Gotta cut those costs, you know!

Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
You guys need to remember Hunter Harrison is the CEO, none of what you said matters to him, he cuts jobs, restricts speed limits and available power to save fuel, I work pretty close with a lot of CN guys and have heard horror stories of what he did to cn before he left. With him it's about $$$$$$

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Hello Mark 1056
Well!,... I heard that the railways are doing an adequate job of moving grain.:p

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Send a bunch of farmers down there, we'll get em running ;)

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
K ,with more trains grains ,potash, oil, and containers and what ever else moves by train Means more profit for everyone including the share holders of the train! Guess if you are given $28000000 a year you dont give a sh..it about anything ! To bad cant get ride of that guy! Who the **** would want less trains !

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
That was an interesting clip, in the fact that the railway is screwing up more than just farmers. If it was just us farmers, and no one else, nobody would have given a crap. At what point is a corporation allowed to screw with the economics of a country. Since when do shareholders have more rights then the citizens and and economic well being of a nation. Nationalize the railway and tell the shareholders [email protected]#k off, you abuse it you lose it.
I am so sick of the modern day world, and the absolute sh!t abuse that would have gotten politicians, CEO's and the like beheaded in any other time in history. I have lost all faith that anybody can ever fix this crap ever. Humans are dirty greedy filthy animals. The only other time in the planets history where so much damaged occurred with the devastation of species and eco systems, was 65 million years ago when an asteroid hit the earth. Humans are the new extinction level event. Even a pig know better then to sh!t in is own bed.

Sorry for the rant, i have work in the offices downtown Calgary and a lot of the office people i encountered are self absorbed egomaniacs that could't grow a potato if their life depended on it, Useless

·
Registered
19 Posts
Heres something to process, Hunter Harrison's contract with CN had a clause in it that when he retired or quit that he couldnt work for any of CN's competition. He would have to pay a 20 million dollar fine. CP said dont worry about that we will take care of it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
City Folk

That was an interesting clip, in the fact that the railway is screwing up more than just farmers. If it was just us farmers, and no one else, nobody would have given a crap. At what point is a corporation allowed to screw with the economics of a country. Since when do shareholders have more rights then the citizens and and economic well being of a nation. Nationalize the railway and tell the shareholders [email protected]#k off, you abuse it you lose it.
I am so sick of the modern day world, and the absolute sh!t abuse that would have gotten politicians, CEO's and the like beheaded in any other time in history. I have lost all faith that anybody can ever fix this crap ever. Humans a dirty greedy filthy animals. The only other time in the planets history where so much damaged occurred with the devastation of species and eco systems, was 65 million years ago when an asteroid hit the earth. Humans a the new extinction level event. Even a pig know better then to sh!t in is own bed.

Sorry for the rant, i have work in the offices downtown Calgary and a lot of the office people i encountered are self absorbed egomaniacs that could't grow a potato if their life depended on it, Useless
I don't work in any office but have to deal with the Calgary Oil Co. people from time to time and I have the same opinion as you and like to let them know how I really feel ! LOL.

Mark

·
Registered
153 Posts
In November Canadian Railway Observations, CP had 58 locomotives leased to Burlington Northern! Someone in Ottawa needs to remind the railways that they were originally given land in exchange for the obligation to move our grain.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
You guys need to remember Hunter Harrison is the CEO, none of what you said matters to him, he cuts jobs, restricts speed limits and available power to save fuel
Yes, that is true.

He is only interested in cutting spending to make the financials look good to the shareholders in the short term.

VERY short-sighted however to cut spending down to the point where it affects future revenue!

Andrew

·
Super Moderator
3,371 Posts
Hoback sounds like he's running for election!;)
I know Randy from his Flexi-Coil days, good to see some politician hold someone accountable but seems there is more exchange there.:confused:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Someone explain to me how the railways say its a very competitive business moving commodities by rail. It's not like there are a multitude of different rail companies. It's been excessively cold? This winter is nicer than last in my opinion. Western Canada is growing the railways should be growing there business accordingly. On my farm I have to have the right equipment, labor and infrastructure in place to operate my business. If I have more work to do I need more of each. It boils down to good management. I haven't always been the best manager, I've made my share of mistakes, but I don't run a railway either. I'm sure logistics and planning with computer modelling must make up a lot of their planning. They can't fly by the seat of their pants? The resources that they should have at their disposal to make decisions should be immense. It's probably like most things, follow the money and you'll find your answer. The money isn't flowing my direction so don't go looking here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts