The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The engine in our 570 came apart today, lots of parts scattered out and a big hole. I stuck my ipad between the engine and hopper and snapped a couple pics of what I would call the #1 rod. Anyone ever had engine go out on one of these? I have no idea what to expect for repair cost. It was running fine and then acted like it was pulling down a little, then boom and that was it. It had around 1300 hours on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
555 Posts
Definitely not 40 grand for a c9.

There are lots of those engines out there. Uncle just put one in a tandem new for 18000

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Why don't you care for Cat motors Don?

I guess I ask because all the Cat's I've owned have all been great motors. Love my 3406 in my Pete, the C13 in my T800 is fine just kinda low on power but reliable. The 3406 has lots more low end grunt than the 855 cummin's in my other Pete.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
The ONLY cat engine that's worth a **** is the 3406 mechanical engine. Now you cant put one in a Claas, but its been hands down the most reliable engine Ive been around. Now a 3116 cat in my jimmy was a gutless turd that couldnt get out of its own way. Good luck with locating a new powerplant.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Really?
Where were you last year when Finning put a 3126 into my Freightliner truck?
The all things considered bill on that was 30.:eek:
And it still a FPOS!:mad:
I think the word "Finning" is your biggest problem Don, best thing to do is head south for an engine, Finning is Cat's distributer in Western Canada so your not going to save any money unless you go with an after market rebuilt engine. There is no duty to bring one across.
Also I don't think there is much difference in price rebuilding any Cat engine whether electronic or mechanical or age of the same displacement.

What is your 3126? Mechanical? Horsepower? Might be a way to liven it up a bit :)

·
Super Moderator
4,263 Posts
I think this started my hatred

Why don't you care for Cat motors Don?
Aside from having terrible luck with them, I'm not really sure.

Hmm.

Gonna tell you a little story about Caterpillar and the service organization that that repaired them in Alberta.
Keep in mind this story is almost 40 years old.

There was a very nice Gentleman by the name of Brian Wilson, not the Beach Boy;), he owned/operated a custom feed grinding/mixing truck.
Said truck had a 3208 Cat engine, likely the crown jewel of POS engines that ever left a drawing board.
Brian believed in giving the best possible service but that 3208 made that very difficult.

On his third trip to the shop for a new engine the service organization informs him this one will not be under warranty.
Now Brian was about as nice and as mild mannered a guy as you could find but this was the last straw.
Asks the Service manager if he could use the phone and what is Caterpillar's phone number in Peoria Illinois, headquarters for Caterpillar.

Gets a hold of the warranty department, explains the situation.
Gentleman on the other end tells Brian, Those engines are nothing but trouble, yes, get it changed, yes we will cover it.
Give me the service manager please.

Brian starts walking away feeling much better and then a cold chill came over him when it strikes him...these sons a *****es are double dipping, they are screwing me and Caterpillar at the same time.:eek:

Leaves a pretty bad taste in your mouth.
For a long, long time.:(

Wonder where Brian is today?
Hope he's doing well.
He deserves it.:)

·
Super Moderator
4,263 Posts
I think the word "Finning" is your biggest problem
What is your 3126? Mechanical? Horsepower? Might be a way to liven it up a bit :)
Agree.:(

Nah, it's a HEUI set at 300 hp/860 torque.
I don't want or need anymore power I'd just like it to work right.
After spending 30,000, roughly half the value of the truck, here's how it works:
- The oil pressure light flashes intermittently yet gauge indicates pressure fine.
- Cruise can not be activated if engine braking switch on.
-When you do get cruise on it turns out it's not cruise at all, it's only a throttle lock. Allison Automatic, far and away the best part of the truck btw.
- Check engine light flashes mainly at high engine speeds, don't know why.

Took it back, got the nothing we can do line.
I give up.:(

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Nothing new there, Claas had a lot of issues with C9 motors about 3-4 years back putting pistons through the side of the block, friend had one on Demo did that, went up in smoke. was put out, 100K damage they were told by the insurance company should have let it burn :(

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Really?
Where were you last year when Finning put a 3126 into my Freightliner truck?
The all things considered bill on that was 30.:eek:
And it still a FPOS!:mad:
I have read so many post over the years about your joy with 3126 in freightliner. I can't believe you have not traded it in yet? Dose the truck have photos?

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Ah, HEUI, now that's a four letter combination that I hope I never experience again. Cat tried to put International out of business with that fuel system and the way people I know talk about them there is still a chance they will, I can't believe International is still trying to run that system, kinda like some farmers I know, "we will get it next year!" I would sell that truck...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts