The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7240 magnum with less than 5000 hrs, I pull a Phillips harrow with it to work in cover crops but at 10 mph it rides like crap! I was looking for a cab suspension but found nothing. So I am thinking I will cut up the rear cab mounts, add a set of air springs, leveling valve and some sort of air pump, probly something for a pickup air suspension. Anyone play with anything like this?

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
took a Kirovets and put a truck cab on it.

There are a couple other videos of it's build, which is really a cool one to watch, as well as one of it in the field. It gets sort of "bouncy", but that I think is because they did not use very good damping for off road use.

The Mercedes tractors have a suspended cab as well. And the Claas tractors have a suspended cab that can also level when using a in furrow plow etc.

There are a lot of others. Some past and some present with suspension ideas. But as always, cutting and reworking a manufactured tractor will ruin any resale, and how well it works is always a crap shoot.

I have gone to using trucks as my high speed tractors. There are some videos on my channel of the Sterling pulling a sprayer and a no-till drill. There is also a walk around of it. I have since added two 6x6s. They are modern 6x6s with a 8.3L cummins and allison 5 speed auto. Mid 1990s production with anti lock brakes and all like that.

Would a cheap ol' truck work for your high speed harrowing? My 6x6 with the 1600 tires rides like a dream with the tires aired down to near cheeks. I would'nt use a truck for plowing 7 days a week, but for lighter draft loads and stuff, they are a cheap way to put hours on a rough field.

I uploaded a couple pics, but for some reason, even though I rotated them and saved them as upright, they have uploaded here sideways. So I will leave them as thumbnails, and if you wish to click on them, you will have to rotate the image. I will try to figure out how to solve that. Dang new phone stuff to learn.:(

Attachments

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice work! That kind of stuff takes some serious imagination! I would rather build my own equipment but I seem to have a hard time keeping up with what I've got. Tomorrow I will have to show you a pic of out "SumerTile" it is an 835 Versitile with a Sumers Ultimate mounted on it. On problem field gear is the same as road gear. The magnum is a tractor I think I'll have around a long time, it has less than 5000 hrs and it is pretty cherry. Just want to bring it more up to date with a cab suspension, hid and led lights a good radio and speakers, and a new seat and I don't think anyone will complain about it being old or uncomfterble. Again nice work door knob!

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
While relaxing and enjoying the ride on a new 600 Quad, I couldn't help but notice the cab post movement in relationship to the fixed burning barrel on the fender, that in one era was just a muffler. Practically all of the motion I can detect is a constant side to side lateral movement of the tractor of an inch or less, under the stabilized cab.

In my opinion lateral movement is also important, which likely requires four suspensions and panhard bars in the design.

·
Registered
9,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Forgot to snap a pic of the Summertile but I got some air springs, leveling valve, shocks, 2cfm 150 psi air pump and tank on its way. The rear cab mounts will be pretty simple. I will be limited to about 4" of travel and the only thing that seems to need modification further than the cab mounts is the cables that operate the hydraulic flow control and the hose between fuel tanks is in ? Yet. I think this is going to be a well worth while addition to the tractor, I believe it is way more fun and economical to run older equipment and set it up the way I like it, shop time sure beats payments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.