The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a couple of STS (50 and 60) and have always had trouble calibrating either macdon we have (974 and FD 70).
i have only sucessfully done it once.
it seems like it is so fussy on where to set the up and down position. either get an "ER 55 or ER 96"
anyone else have any advice or hints?
thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
It will be that little voltage gauge in the middle with the white bar and numbers on it. We always have trouble with the voltage not being right. Make sure its plug in and moves freely.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
What's generally happening is the header floats off it's down stops on header up cal.
Have someone hold (or vice-grip) the indicator lever at zero before pushing header up cal button.

Don

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the tips, but i have had someone on the ground moving the indicator for me, and still no luck.
does the header actually have to be up all the way, or can you "fool" it with someone running the pressure indicator? like i said, i have only done this successfully once, and i am not quite sure how i did it.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
The header does have to be fully down, with float locks not in place, and fully raised with the MacDon indicator
held at zero which if that can be done from the ground, that person should be playing basketball.

By only partially raising the header,the combine knows that doesn't jive, hence the error.
In the interest of safety if you don't fix the the lever at zero when it's just off the ground do not have someone on the feeder house/header until AFTER it is raised to the top.

Don

·
Registered
3 Posts
Could someone also send me the instructions on how to do this. I have a 50 series and a 70 series and have not been able to use the float optimizer at all. The voltage seems right when I check it but need a step by step insrtuctions on how to do it for both combines. Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks to all who helped, i finally got it calibrated, although i wasn't totally happy with the response of the variable reel speed, but maybe that is because we had to cut so slow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts