The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
I've listen to a few podcasts regarding the consumption of the California aquifers and How the ground in some places as sank 30feet over the past 40-50 years from draining the aquifers. Always thought alfalfa was the crop that used the most water. Also heard a pocast on how almond trees are using so much because they have to be watered year round unlike other crops. California is exporting water through selling alfalfa , almonds, produce etc that can't be replaced.

·
Registered
454 Posts
if you have not seen the movie " Macfarland" I highly recommend it. really good show for kids to watch. determination, discrimination has all of it...drove through this area couple years ago. pretty amazing place

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Laura has met Stewart Rod, this ranch wasn’t far from the winery she worked at.
She must mix in the “right circles” then! :laugh::D

It still amazes me that the Central Valley, south of Modesto etc. as classified as desert country with very porous soils (sand), has been developed so much & by the types of crops grown there. Nuts, use a huge amount of water. There is a nut planting explosion in OZ as well & it is bound to turn to :46: in the future. Anything that is “too good” at the initial stage of the cycle, is surely to head through the agricultural porcelain “S” bend, faster than a :46: at a Roman banquet !

·
Ooohhh Deere
1,662 Posts
Those that understand water use per HA to grow various crops would be flabbergasted if they knew the true cold hard facts of Almond tree consumption...........rice, corn and cotton only use a dribble compared to them.

Iam surrounded by them here and actually right at this minute cleaning out a channel that supplies water to one farm. The number of bores feeding just this one channel is quite ridiculous, 5 infact.

So who’s got the big Squirrel farm?:red-neck-laughing-s
Because I don’t like nuts, I might eat chocolate ones but even then, eat the chocolate and spit the nut out......:sFun_doh2::sFun_doh2:

Attachments

·
Registered
941 Posts
On netflix I saw a documentary on california's complete abuse of the aquafier. This so called huge farmer has destroyed many small farms around him by drilling round these peoples property and draining what water they had access too as well. Forcing them to have to pay for redrilling far deeper which they can't afford. Makes for cheap land for this guy once the small farm is broke. Nobody cares about the little guys farm being consumed, but once the water is gone for the guy with all the land the gov't will bail his rich ass out. Just the way the world works. The system is so corrupt and negligent with their waste of water how can one feel sorry for them. Californians want the world to change their ways when they should look at themselves the way I see it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts