The Combine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 1480 and run a 17.5 1020. Would you put a 30' on it? Looking to plant more grain and less cotton. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Well i asked the boss and he said probably not..

That would be alot of grain for it.

it would depend on your avg yeild.

we still run 8 row 1083's that are 1983 and 1985 that work great.. but they run great with 80-160 max....maybe every so often as your yields.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I don't know anything about your conditions, but I'd have to agree with casefarmer. I've spent a lot of hours in my dad's old 1480 running a 24' 810 header and I can safely say that the combine didn't want any more. It's been a couple years since I ran it in wheat, but if I remember correctly I could only go about 2.4mph in 80 bushel wheat; maybe a little faster after the sun went down. In our 35-40 bushel dryland I could maybe do 3.5mph.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yep, it will. I had a 1978 1480 and at first had a 22.5 820 head which wasn't NEAR big enough. Put the 30' 1020 on it and it was one sweet machine! Kept the combine full and fed much more evenly.

Go for it!

Trent

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sometimes 60+ bushel per acre. Mind you, I was not breaking any speed records in those beans, but the goal was more even feeding which was definitely accomplished. In 30 - 40 bu beans I could run 4mph. And those were green stem beans. I added hardened cut-out rasp bars and the Disrupter kit which helped immensely with green stems. Really, the limiting factor was running beans over the short screens we had back then. BTW, there were very few pods in those beans!

Trent

·
Registered
55 Posts
Quote:ok I found a 25' head. would yall be comfortable with that?

Thats a lot better than a 30, I can imagine you would only be creaping through a field with a 30 header...

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
be sure your old 1480 is up to shape put a specialty rotor in her will ahndle it easy give her a little more smoke update rotor drive to new model I have on off a 2388 laying around if someone needs one 600 # spring newer roller ramp

·
Registered
40 Posts
it will handle it just fine we have guys around running 30' on a 9500 deere. Its easier to go slower then try to cut at 7mph.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts