The Combine Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an option of taking out the ball on the hitch of a agco/hesston 4733 and put in a larger one? I'm switching up tractors to one that has a clevis hitch with a larger diameter pin. I currently use the clevis/bolt setup that came with the baler but want to make it faster without all the bolts and stuff. Can I put in a bigger ball that would allow for a bigger pin to go in vs this 1.5inch bolt I use now. And how are you guys hooking up your balers.....hitch pins or bolts/nuts? I'm just looking for faster.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm using the bolt method on my 7434, and before that on my 4790.

Sometimes I use the clevis and a pin sized for baler, but when I'm dropping my baler to grab the discbine, I need to unbolt the clevis anyway, kind of a 60/40 split on what's easier. Since you'll be going to a 3pt mower and don't need to worry I'd use the clevis, a pin sized for the baler, and a couple bushings. The one bushing gets welded to the pin at the top, the other slides in from the bottom and your locking pin of choice holds it in. Better bet really might be to buy a big pin and get a machine shop to chop it down, then have the bushing just for the bottom. Not sure which would be stronger, they would know.

If you have rough fields make it tight, if they're smooth enough that you can haul a$$, a pin is easier to get away with, but replace the pin regularly. It will get fatigued, not worth having it come unhinged at any time!!!

Biggest problem I foresee you having with that Fendt is the 3pt arms. Can't seem to get them high enough to clear that hitch, so I was running them below, don't really like that though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great idea. That is something I will look into. I was also shown a picture of a hesston baler that had the ball hitch removed and turned into a "regular" hitch where a standard drawbar will work. Said it worked well. Might think about that. One problem my dealer informed me about the clevis hitch is clearance for the pottinger mower when in transport mode. Supposedly you lower the unit in transport to keep the height down but the pto shaft will hit the clevis so they suggested this setup or put in a drop hitch. I would rather keep the heavy hitch and really don't want to lose any clearance for getting over the windrows.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts