The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checking bins this week. Cycled a load through in 6 of them, moved a little bit from each to a new bin just so they aren't all right full.
Canola is cool to touch holding in the mid to high 11s moisture.

Went to last bin, warm to touch as soon as it came out. Not spoiled yet, and a smell in there. Moved the entire thing slowly to another bin trying to cool it. Hoping to move it to a bin with a fan and cool it down to hopefully keep until spring.

Can I save this or am I too late? Will that smell every dissipate so the guys at the terminal don't get suspicious. Should I blend this with some cooler drier stuff?

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Did you sample it while you moved it? You have to get that stuff in a air bin. Really don’t loose much heat just moving it.

Anyways rolling out the sample you took when you moved it will tell you where it’s at.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Did you sample it while you moved it? You have to get that stuff in a air bin. Really don’t loose much heat just moving it.
Didn't sample it, just rushing trying to buy a day we can get the air bin cleared.

So the other bins wont likely make it to spring either? Or I will be turning these all winter?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have never sold anything off spec before. What is the discount for moisture in this range?

·
Registered
387 Posts
coffee works great for smell or good old batch dryer will polish and air it out
but if damaged don't try mix yourself, talk to your grain rep and let him do the mixing, if not you could ruin the good load and cause bad relationships

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Didn't sample it, just rushing trying to buy a day we can get the air bin cleared.

So the other bins wont likely make it to spring either? Or I will be turning these all winter?
Do you mean a air bin or the air bin? Yeah if you can't sell that canola it all has to all be cycled through the air bin and frozen.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sorry to tell you but if it smells you have some heated already. Sell it would be the easiest, it should cool and freeze down, but I think you will still want to turn it. Or find a dryer, and run it through, then you are done. All options you will still have the smell and coffee is like a candle in the bathroom, it overpowers the smell by being worse, but it still smells like crap. If it is bad, I find it way better to be honest selling it, it may cost extra this time but the elevator will trust you in the end. But do not mix good stuff with it to cool it down, it will just stink up more and cost you more. The discounts are not real bad if it’s not real bad.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just have a single air bin. So basically to get this to spring safe and sound, I would have to cycle all these bushels through the air bin, freeze it up, move it back to regular storage and then back into the air bin in the spring in order to try and dry it a point or two. The discounts don't sound bad considering all that hassle.

How much coffee are we talking to mask the smell in 3000 bu? Never heard of that tactic before.

·
Registered
931 Posts
If you can dump it send it down the road. I have canola from 9.8-12.5 all on air all bins are cold but working on getting it all moved in the next couple weeks. This year I think im better off to take a little less and pay the drying charge and its gone then no worries this winter and into the spring.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Why not sell enough to take some out of each bin. We do that to all our 6k bins. Easier to sell some then spend the whole winter fighting with it

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
The way I read it, smell doesn't count as heated, there has to be dark brown seeds, or light tan seeds with a heated odour. Just roll a handful out with whatever is close by (cell phone, wrench, bolt, rock etc.) and see if any are dark. And whatever you do, as advised above, don't mix them, just in case. If I have any doubts, I'll keep checking a few seeds the entire time it unloads.

Before I had enough aeration, I would turn canola bins on the coldest nights I could get, run the auger slow, and drop from a great height to allow more time to cool. If possible leave in trucks for an extra day. Same applies going back in, run as slow as possible.

It never ceases to amaze me how long canola can hold its heat ( or lack thereof). 19' bins can still be -20 in July, if frozen down on really cold nights.

Edit, I see that Odor can be a grade determinant all on its own:

https://www.grainscanada.gc.ca/en/grain-quality/official-grain-grading-guide/10-canola-rapeseed/grading-factors.html

·
Registered
39 Posts
What are you expecting to achieve by keeping it until spring? If you can smell heated it is heated. You had best sell or dry or do what you have to before it becomes sample or worse and worth way less yet.

Elevator know if there is coffee in it, oldest trick in the book if you haven't heard of that before they are already smarter than you so don't bother trying to trick them, they have already seen it. Just like you knowing what field each bin came off they know who's grain went into each bin and if yours is at top or bottom when they turn or ship that bin and find heated they have it narrowed down real fast as to who's grain it was.

My advice is get into an elevator tell them your situation and find one that will work with you. Make for better relations later on and not risk wrecking more grain and relationships, to save a few bucks now.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts