The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I farm in central Alberta. We crop 3000 acres and run a few cows. We currently run a 9610 with a chaff cyclone. The Deere is getting a tired and it's time to upgrade. We are considering an 8120. What are these machine's like to bale behind. Mainly wheat and barley straw. And pea straw if I ever feel the urge to grow them again.

·
Registered
975 Posts
When we lived in MD. A lot of guys there bailing straw liked the straw out of a Axial Flow better than a Deere. because the windrows were more compact, and not as big and fluffy.They said they could pack more in a bale....Now I know that the combine also has to be set right. If you have a rotor set right it won't chop it up. It all depends on the quality of the straw, and knowing how to set your machine.....

·
Registered
423 Posts
sorry to disagree with you Big A when we had a 1660 we could bale a good bale of straw when we went to the 7010 and now a 7120 it is a different machine since the concaves wrap around the rotor more we sell straw it feels like we are trying to bale shaveings we make big squares and small squares you shure have to make a tight bale to keep the stringes on.

·
Registered
508 Posts
i hear net arap and also a lexion should be better since lesss aggressive i know guys bale behind a 8010 with netwrap and a newer deere baler we never had much luck with our 535 we love the straw from our deere conventional

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
your gonna need door to open above chopper to make a windrow, newer machines option, drop knives, leaves good bunch of straw, yes will chew it up, bad thing with a rotary, scott.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts