The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up with all the canadian trucks at Berthold Farmrs elevator? What are they hauling? Is it a better price or what?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just got quoted 5.60US for #2 HRSW 13.5% at Shelby MT which is higher than local bids but not by that much. Said if the wheat was US origin DNS then price is $1 per bu more. That was CHS

·
Registered
25 Posts
They have a transportation problem in Canada getting the grains shipped out of the local mills and lots of farmers still have last years crops stored in their silos. Rail companies rather ship oil then grain. Most western mills are not excepting any grain so if we can sell our grain stateside thats where we are going. Its either that or we have no place to store this years crop.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
What's up with all the canadian trucks at Berthold Farmrs elevator? What are they hauling? Is it a better price or what?
MUCH better price than locally. Expect to see Canadian trucks for some time unless our useless railways get their act together.

BTW there has always been grain flowing south, this is nothing new except it's more in trucks now instead of rail cars.;)

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
They have a transportation problem in Canada getting the grains shipped out of the local mills and lots of farmers still have last years crops stored in their silos. Rail companies rather ship oil then grain. Most western mills are not excepting any grain so if we can sell our grain stateside thats where we are going. Its either that or we have no place to store this years crop.
With seeding underway for the last month, many local elevators are scraping the bottom of the bins to fill cars right now. "Here" I was talking to one elevator that is running at less than 20% storage. A second one is under 1/3.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
A bit of tongue in cheek but that is what I was referring too. I just find it interesting that 2 years later people are complaining about the prices on offer and carting to the US.
Since we lost our monopoly I think our biggest issue is traders going bust and taking the farmers with them. Another one has gone into liquidation this week costing a friend $140k. It just is happening to often.

·
Registered
149 Posts
A bit of tongue in cheek but that is what I was referring too. I just find it interesting that 2 years later people are complaining about the prices on offer and carting to the US.
Since we lost our monopoly I think our biggest issue is traders going bust and taking the farmers with them. Another one has gone into liquidation this week costing a friend $140k. It just is happening to often.
So who has gone down now Silverrod? Another Victorian mob? It is a juggling act between getting paid more and getting paid.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
It's not so much that the prices are bad. It's that the railways weren't moving grain for much of the winter.

Some blamed it on a record harvest. Some on the loss of the CWB monopoly. Some on the long, cold winter. Whatever...doesn't matter....bottom line is that the railways dropped the ball.

Farmers put up bins, invest in grain bags, quonset storage, etc for grain storage surges.

Grain elevators have been expanding, adding storage, even building new structures in some cases.

What have the railways added? Nothing! In fact, they have parked locomotives, leased grain cars to US railways, etc. And now they seem surprised and upset that the government is going to legislate them to step up to the plate like everyone else in the system.

OK, I'm going to go find my morning coffee before I get grumpy!

Andrew

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Well this is very similar to the price spread we used to see between CDN/US wheat prices so I suppose since monopoly was removed we had one year at par and one year with poorer prices so that's a 50% improvement! If we had the CWB still running things we all would likely have 50% of our wheat still on farm and would be watching the PRO's go down every month while they put full page ad's in the newspapers blaming the railways for everything....just like they always did. Funny the railways never did anything except what Andrew just detailed.:rolleyes:

As far as traders going down and losing money I remember when your beloved CWB got caught in a squeeze on the Minneapolis exchange, remember when wheat went over $22/bushel? I wonder how much money we all lost there that they never told us about???

Time to move on here, better days are ahead. If you think there won't be challenges or that it will be a straight line you had better find a different career though.;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BTW there has always been grain flowing south, this is nothing new except it's more in trucks now instead of rail cars.;)
I understand Canadian grain flows south, but it flows south more to the mills, not to the elevators.;)

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Lancing grain, berthold, velva canola(adm) and one other private firm that I can't remember have all been in Canada to my farm, aggressively buying or bidding on grain. I have not called one of them to come but they are around. Yes I have struck a handful of deals to have my grains picked up and it's going south. Perhaps that's why the trucks are lined up at berthold. They seem to want to buy bushels and I want to sell some. All anyone has to do is check the web sites to see the offers.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
So who has gone down now Silverrod? Another Victorian mob? It is a juggling act between getting paid more and getting paid.
Not Victorian this time. Northern NSW.
LGL have gone into liquidation.

I did lose money one year with AWB one year with a pool but these traders who keep going bust are a lot more hurt.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Not Victorian this time. Northern NSW.
LGL have gone into liquidation.

I did lose money one year with AWB one year with a pool but these traders who keep going bust are a lot more hurt.
We as farmers need to take a leaf out of landmark and elders books when dealing with selling grain. Put credit limits in place, limit how much is sold in a deal to limit exposure.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hard to get Horned over selling grain to these traders. That South Aust that went over burnt a lot of the market in 3 states. Farmers and middlemen taken out. Not that anyone can afford a loss of 90 cents in the dollar but I reckon those blokes who "truck and trade"'must find it a hard hole to climb out of with the small profit margin they operate on.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
I understand Canadian grain flows south, but it flows south more to the mills, not to the elevators.;)
Not typically but last year there was tons of prevent-plant in ND and the elevators are more than willing to take Canadian grain, heck they post Canadian bids on the website! Always been lots of oilseeds going south to the crush plants.

When we used to do buy-backs we would just hire American truckers then nobody would get excited in the line-up at the elevator....;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts