The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or should I say, the former CWB!
You must all forgive me, I am quite late on reading the details about the collapse and why and how it all went wrong. Its just tough to stomach the deception, lies, and complete immoral moves the government has done all in the name of multinational donations made to them by grain companies which would benefit from the CWB's demise.
During its last few years of exsistance I (like many of you) was confused by rumors, truths, and lies. Until this winter, I finally had a lot of time to read so many articles and info about the subject.

I never did understand how an actual farmer like Ken Motiuk (a neighbour of mine) was on the board of directors, yet he was completely set on destroying it, and all of a sudden was buying up millions of dollars worth of land! How could this be? At the time I didn't realize he was appointed and bribed by government.
And now the only directors left on the board are Ken and the rest of the appointed corrupt cronies. This new LTD. Company named CWB is now not providing asset details to farmers and planned to GIVE the farmers assets to a large american multinational company called FNA. Of course the directors stand to yet again get an undisclosed bonus for fast tracking the death of the CWB.
When you read the details its just mind blowing that the people involved are not jailed, but are yet making millions off dismantling the Former CWB.

I just don't understand how any real farmer could be against the wheat board? The only ones I could see wanting it gone would be farmers along the u.s. border, thinking they are going to ship vast amounts of grain south, unrestricted. So, how is this working for you guys? From what I read, the americans will have nothing of it, on small scale they let it slide, but will never allow any large movement.

Sure the Big 5 grain companies will lead us to believe we will have this amazing day in the sun, making us believe they will each be trying to undercut each other to survive and get sales, driving the price of grain up.. Sure, sure. I don't buy it for a second! I firmly believe they will all agree to drive their own profits up! Especially since many communities only have between 1 - 3 options to haul to in their area.
They (grain companies) do not have to tell us what the bids are at the coast, so regardless of what it is selling for, they will try to get it for as cheap as possible, bidding farmer against farmer, only taking grain from farmers which are forced or willing to sell at low prices, only raising the price when they absolutely have to, as long as contracts are being filled.
They don't just make money from elevation, they make off everything!... Dockage, moisture, blending, basis, contract fines, subjective grading, and finally a nice little skim off the top at the final sale.

Its just such a shame so many farmers are caught up in competing with their neighbours, not working together to all get rich together. Now I read we may soon not be able to keep our own grain to seed for subsequent years.
Once they take away AgInvest, we will truly have nothing left.

Thoughts? Future sure seems bleak, anyone see any optimism?

·
Registered
398 Posts
We sold 100% of our wheat for a $2 premium last year to a terminal in the USA. And 100% of our durum this year for a $4 premium. And that's not including the favourable exchange rate this year. So to answer one of your questions, selling grain south of the border is working out great for us and a lot of our neighbours. I'm loving marketing freedom.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I never did understand how an actual farmer like Ken Motiuk (a neighbour of mine) was on the board of directors, yet he was completely set on destroying it, and all of a sudden was buying up millions of dollars worth of land! How could this be? At the time I didn't realize he was appointed and bribed by government.
And now the only directors left on the board are Ken and the rest of the appointed corrupt cronies. This new LTD. Company named CWB is now not providing asset details to farmers and planned to GIVE the farmers assets to a large american multinational company called FNA. Of course the directors stand to yet again get an undisclosed bonus for fast tracking the death of the CWB.
When you read the details its just mind blowing that the people involved are not jailed, but are yet making millions off dismantling the Former CWB.
That's quite the accusation, do you have any proof?
If not that is slander.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
hihi. It baffles me that the corruption mentioned is as it has just happened over recent months with the dismantling of the wheat board. Yes it's quite possible. So how much corruption, back room deals, and so on went on the previous 75 years. This was a government organization, run by bureaucrats.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
We just sold 6 loads of wheat to the U.S. three days ago for a positive 42.50 basis. I love the marketing freedom. The only farmer that miss it around here are the older ones who don't want to market their own grain and are typically non progressive. Maybe your neighbours is spending millions on land because he has done a good job job of marketing his wheat. Growing over 6000 acres of wheat this year and if the wheat board ever comes back that would go back to 2000 acres like it was when they were here. thank God it's gone.

·
Registered
25 Posts
We have never been happier since the CWB lost its monopoly. In the last two years we have moved much more grain than ever before this early in the marketing year. And most have it has been sold right here in Canada. hihi you should submit a letter to the editor in the Western Producer where all the other left wings moan and groan about this dreaded collapse and change!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
im quite happy having the choice to sell my grain when I want for the price I decide. Oh and getting paid when I sell is nice too. The only thing I don't like is the approximate $100,000 donation I was making annually to civil servants.. I'm thinking of maybe setting up some sort of foundation for these poor souls.

·
Registered
228 Posts
hihi did you miss the observation that grain prices paid to producers here equalized with prices paid to northern tier states within the first crop year? Of course there are times with price variability between here and there, not any different than price variability between grain companies here. This volatility allows us all the opportunity to pick and choose when, to who and for how much to sell our production to. Why do you see the former CWB as a knight in shinning armor and all grain companies as deceitful? I have 5 examples in my short lifetime where I became painfully aware of CWB contempt, (for me) heavy handedness, (towards me) and poor marketing on their part. What a relief to not be dwelling in that past any more.

·
Premium Member
8,232 Posts
I (like many of you) was confused by rumors, truths, and lies.
Yes I would agree that you seem to be confused between truth and lies....as the rest of your lengthy post seems to indicate.:rolleyes:

It is worth noting that in year 1 and 3 of marketing freedom we achieved equal to considerably higher prices than our neighbors to the south, never seen that before in my farming career! In year 2 there was opportunity to get sales made if you saw the train-wreck coming(pun intended;)) and those that waited had every opportunity to go south with remaining grain or wait with sales.

If you expect to have the best price presented to you all the time then that isn't going to happen. If you expect to get an average price that is always lower than world prices then I can see your desire to have the monopoly back, although I can't understand it...

You asked for some optimism at the end of your post. I am optimistic because farmers now have some choice about how/when they sell their grain, with this has come better prices. It also seems that the trickle of propaganda and complaining about "how good we had it" seems to be slowing down. We should always remember the mistakes of our past so as to not let them happen again though.;)

·
Registered
169 Posts
more sour grapes from a cwb die hard who can't grasp that farmers now have a choice and don't have to prop up his pool system so he can continue lazy marketing! Time to move on regardless of vote! every farmer should have a choice how and where he sells his grain without penalty!

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
CWB was never dismantled it was just made voluntary, farmers could still sell to the the wheat board, it fell apart because almost nobody did. if there was so many CWB farmers out there who wanted the wheat board, why did they not sell their grain to the wheat board. If it is as great as people say it is it should be able to compete hands down with the other grain companies.

·
Registered
257 Posts
hihi. It baffles me that the corruption mentioned is as it has just happened over recent months with the dismantling of the wheat board. Yes it's quite possible. So how much corruption, back room deals, and so on went on the previous 75 years. This was a government organization, run by bureaucrats.
Couldnt agree more!!!

But it never really got dismantled ....I guess nobody wanted it after it was voluntary.:cool:

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I have not heard of a single farmer in my area making sales to the U.S.
Do people really think this is going to last? Do you think the U.S. really wants our grain in their system? Just try move move a 100 spot of cars down there.
Remember, the U.S. wants the wheat board gone as well, it was hard for them to compete against it, they are only siding with you few southerners until there is zero chance for revival and the board is all but forgotten. Those premiums you are getting now won't last in my opinion. When in history has the U.S. ever allowed another country to flood or mess with their markets?

I do agree, there is marketing freedom, you may have up to 3 choices in todays market, Low pricer, lower price, and lowerer price. By no means do you decide the price, last year with the so called 1 in 100 year crop we were actually only 20% over production, so this means we should 100% blame the railways and slam the price down (even though coast bids were still high). Do you really believe they made anything less then massive profits, some guys here sold #2 wheat as low as $4.70.
No matter how long you think you can hold out, you are forced to sell them your grain, the grain companies will get it eventually no matter what, so where is your freedom again?

About Ken Motiuk, yes its true, as far as my reputable source neighbour, guys like that just cant help bragging about some of their deals, but you believe what you want.

So you believe these multibillion dollar companies have you in mind, and are taking less money off your cheque then the WB? I guess thats why you cant see it or read between the lines, perhaps you are too young and cant see over your smart phone.
Really? So the reason we have huge multinationals buying our grain is because they want to help us here in Canada? not because they know they can make an absolute killing here.

I guess its very regional, anyone I talk with in my area are pro WB, not Anti.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes I would agree that you seem to be confused between truth and lies....as the rest of your lengthy post seems to indicate.:rolleyes:

It is worth noting that in year 1 and 3 of marketing freedom we achieved equal to considerably higher prices than our neighbors to the south, never seen that before in my farming career!...
Wow, I should be an ice salesman, and visit your yard!

Have you ever been fishing? The only way they were gonna get the ones on the fence was to bait to hook and dangle it in front of your nose for a few years, before you really swallow it! Those good prices were only put in in front of us for but a brief moment, and anyone can sell grain when the market is hot! So it sure made them look good.
Have you guys never read history? How this happened before and it took farmers all they had to chase out the multinationals and established the WB, if your forefathers heard you speak now, they just might twist your ear.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
more sour grapes from a cwb die hard who can't grasp that farmers now have a choice and don't have to prop up his pool system so he can continue lazy marketing!...
Let me guess, you are one of those that signed up to a large grain companies marketing plan?
Haha! Take away your services provided by the WB and sell it back to you, ahh youngsters!

·
Premium Member
8,232 Posts
Wow, I should be an ice salesman, and visit your yard!

Have you ever been fishing? The only way they were gonna get the ones on the fence was to bait to hook and dangle it in front of your nose for a few years, before you really swallow it! Those good prices were only put in in front of us for but a brief moment, and anyone can sell grain when the market is hot! So it sure made them look good.
Have you guys never read history? How this happened before and it took farmers all they had to chase out the multinationals and established the WB, if your forefathers heard you speak now, they just might twist your ear.
So they are dangling $7 wheat for 3 years? I suppose I will have to take the bait then.:)

You speak of history, how many options do you think the farmers had in the early 1900's? Do you think things were a little different back then?

Another question: How come we never got abused by the big bad multinationals on the other crops? For years this was the only way to sustain farm profits was to grow other crops! Now wheat is just as profitable of a crop in Western Canada as anything else.:)

Oh yeah one more question: If the monopoly was so good for Western Canada how come Ontario/Quebec never got to participate in the "Canadian Wheat Board"???

I could go on all day here. If you need more reasoning just ask Abe, I think maybe he finally saw the light and is enjoying his wheat marketing freedom now.:)

1 - 20 of 171 Posts