The Combine Forum banner

141 - 160 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
You got it exactly right.. almost 7 years later and we haven't got a penny for the assets we used to own.. cargill, pioneer, etc all sitting pretty with horrible wheat bids. Sometimes don't know how good you've got it until it's gone.

Even more important now that Bayer /Monsanto , Potash mergers have happened and now looks like our seed will be owned by the same corps.. the pools are looking like the best thing we ever had !!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Or should I say, the former CWB!
You must all forgive me, I am quite late on reading the details about the collapse and why and how it all went wrong. Its just tough to stomach the deception, lies, and complete immoral moves the government has done all in the name of multinational donations made to them by grain companies which would benefit from the CWB's demise.
During its last few years of exsistance I (like many of you) was confused by rumors, truths, and lies. Until this winter, I finally had a lot of time to read so many articles and info about the subject.

I never did understand how an actual farmer like Ken Motiuk (a neighbour of mine) was on the board of directors, yet he was completely set on destroying it, and all of a sudden was buying up millions of dollars worth of land! How could this be? At the time I didn't realize he was appointed and bribed by government.
And now the only directors left on the board are Ken and the rest of the appointed corrupt cronies. This new LTD. Company named CWB is now not providing asset details to farmers and planned to GIVE the farmers assets to a large american multinational company called FNA. Of course the directors stand to yet again get an undisclosed bonus for fast tracking the death of the CWB.
When you read the details its just mind blowing that the people involved are not jailed, but are yet making millions off dismantling the Former CWB.

I just don't understand how any real farmer could be against the wheat board? The only ones I could see wanting it gone would be farmers along the u.s. border, thinking they are going to ship vast amounts of grain south, unrestricted. So, how is this working for you guys? From what I read, the americans will have nothing of it, on small scale they let it slide, but will never allow any large movement.

Sure the Big 5 grain companies will lead us to believe we will have this amazing day in the sun, making us believe they will each be trying to undercut each other to survive and get sales, driving the price of grain up.. Sure, sure. I don't buy it for a second! I firmly believe they will all agree to drive their own profits up! Especially since many communities only have between 1 - 3 options to haul to in their area.
They (grain companies) do not have to tell us what the bids are at the coast, so regardless of what it is selling for, they will try to get it for as cheap as possible, bidding farmer against farmer, only taking grain from farmers which are forced or willing to sell at low prices, only raising the price when they absolutely have to, as long as contracts are being filled.
They don't just make money from elevation, they make off everything!... Dockage, moisture, blending, basis, contract fines, subjective grading, and finally a nice little skim off the top at the final sale.

Its just such a shame so many farmers are caught up in competing with their neighbours, not working together to all get rich together. Now I read we may soon not be able to keep our own grain to seed for subsequent years.
Once they take away AgInvest, we will truly have nothing left.

Thoughts? Future sure seems bleak, anyone see any optimism?

You got it exactly right.. almost 7 years later and we haven't got a penny for the assets we used to own.. cargill, pioneer, etc all sitting pretty with horrible wheat bids. Sometimes don't know how good you've got it until it's gone.

Even more important now that Bayer /Monsanto , Potash mergers have happened and now looks like our seed will be owned by the same corps.. the pools are looking like the best thing we ever had !!

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
. cargill, pioneer, etc all sitting pretty with horrible wheat bids. Sometimes don't know how good you've got it until it's gone.
OK, so just what do you think wheat prices would be right now if the Board was still operating? And the reason for that.

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
Hehe good old 5 year old thread resurrected.
If you want to find out what the price would be Check us prices

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quite simply prices were higher before, and would still be higher now compared to selling to the private big players.. why .. because the CWB was not-for-profit and farmer owned that had a massive ( larger than competing private players can ever have) influence to sell onto the world market (remember the rest of the world was jealous of the CWB) - private companies are for profit, therefore they need to take margin (and more and more margin over time to impress shareholders).
The rest of details are on the historic wheat prices chart - adjusted for inflation its recently been at record lows. Farmers should be getting consistent profit over cost of production for their time, effort, general value to the world and risk taken.. instead wheat is famously the break even crop.

OK, so just what do you think wheat prices would be right now if the Board was still operating? And the reason for that.

·
Registered
673 Posts
During WW2, wheat was $3.80/bus. Western grain farmers got $.80/bus. Eastern farmers got the world price. Western farmers were supporting the War Effort.

When our ancestor's delivered grain with a 40 bus wagon pulled by horse's, it would have made sense to pool the grain as they could often not deliver until spring, which caused a glut. today you can almost deliver 24/7 365 days of the year.

Until the demise of the CWB I never got $5.00 for my wheat, I have farmed over 40 years. I just moved wheat and got a $.50 premium because they needed it. I don't hit the highs, but I have never sold as low as the CWB prices were. 1990/91 I sold every bus. of #1 13.5 protein wheat as feed, it was the same price and I could move it. $2.00/bus in 90 and $2.30 in 91.

I was under the impression it was still going for the die hard's? if it is, go for it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is the chart I'm referring to.
I'm not saying the WB was perfect and was still a slave to world markets - but now that every grain buyer has a profit to make there is going to be more downward trend , back logs on the rail lines, etc ..especially after the Saudi owned G3 starts deciding it wants to make a profit instead of simply providing cheap food for its homeland. Is $5/bu adjusted for inflation what we consider good these days ?? I think we deserve a lot more myself.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
OK, I have to ask, if the Wheat Board was so great, why did the price of wheat decline the entire time they had the monopoly, except for a few spikes here and there. The chart proves it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
[QUOTE="DsDesert, post: 3401444, member:] ....especially after the Saudi owned G3 starts deciding it wants to make a profit instead of simply providing cheap food for its homeland. Is $5/bu adjusted for inflation what we consider good these days ?? I think we deserve a lot more myself.[/QUOTE]

Around here G3 really drives competition in wheat. They throw out some very aggressive pricing at times.

Deserve has nothing to do with it. That is what it is worth now because that is what the market indicates.
RIP CWB!

·
Registered
123 Posts
This has gotta be the same guy saying this as the guys who’s brainwashed that a Deere 790 is most productive combine on the planet 😂

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm not saying it couldn't have been better, I'm saying it was better than what we have moved towards. My point will become more evident as time goes on - as the other member pointed out, G3 is making aggressive bids so other private corps have to match but they won't do this forever. Almost every company you're selling to is foreign owned and they pay their workers the minimum to keep them from complaining but thats it - the vast majority of farmer money flows to the CEO at the top and besides the token charity to have their names put on a plaque on some public display, nothing flows back into the public and farmer pocket. That's the part people always forget - that org was owned by US farmers , and we owned assets and had pull with the rail monopoly- now those assets are Saudi assets, and we give more profits to the same companies that make a killing on selling us fertilizers and chemicals. Brutal one sided system this is.

OK, I have to ask, if the Wheat Board was so great, why did the price of wheat decline the entire time they had the monopoly, except for a few spikes here and there. The chart proves it.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Almost every company you're selling to is foreign owned and they pay their workers the minimum to keep them from complaining but thats it
So you mean it's basically like any other business on the face of the earth...

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
There are small independent retailers and grain buyers you can deal with if that is what you are wanting. That is how business grows, a prospering company will continue to grow and expand into other areas, that's called risk management. Deal with feed mills or end users, you aren't tied to grain companies to sell your grain, we market very little grain through elevators, an option not possible with the wheat board. And it's nice to get paid when you haul your grain out, not on promises for the future. Does it bother me that some of these companies are getting so big, yes somewhat. That's a free country. But they also have buying and selling power that in the end can get you better prices. You don't like big companies, yet you want just one huge buyer for your grain? Do you really think the wheat board didn't skim a huge pile of money from the top?

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
And why do you think they were never audited until the end of their existence?

Reactions: Transaxial

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with you there , the convenience and cash flow can be nice the way it is currently, but, then again there's also those who don't pay, go out of business, etc.

Personally we don't have many nearby options besides the big guys, and I think that's pretty common for a lot of guys out there.

I guess What I really want is farmer control back, which i think is a fair request considering that we don't control anything now. The organizations we deal with including the WB are only as good as the people that are pulling the strings . I think that's why you would see those stories of missed opportunities- which individual farmers make marketing quite often. So if we vote in good marketers, you'll generally have good marketing. If we want more power to direct markets sold into we can design that into the new system, the options are endless.. especially now with voting electronically.. Maybe even a voluntary system is an option who knows - at least that way you could get some kind of real time comparisons.

There are small independent retailers and grain buyers you can deal with if that is what you are wanting. That is how business grows, a prospering company will continue to grow and expand into other areas, that's called risk management. Deal with feed mills or end users, you aren't tied to grain companies to sell your grain, we market very little grain through elevators, an option not possible with the wheat board. And it's nice to get paid when you haul your grain out, not on promises for the future. Does it bother me that some of these companies are getting so big, yes somewhat. That's a free country. But they also have buying and selling power that in the end can get you better prices. You don't like big companies, yet you want just one huge buyer for your grain? Do you really think the wheat board didn't skim a huge pile of money from the top?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Maybe even a voluntary system is an option who knows - at least that way you could get some kind of real time comparisons.
After the single desk was shut down, there was a voluntary pool to sell into. It too was later shut down because there was next to no interest in it from farmers.
Hey I hear you, I’d love to get more for my grain. If you look at the simplest forms of end use their margins are razor thin.
Put your feed grains through a mill and then into your pig and see how much profit there is there. Or a coop ethanol plant.
I don’t believe the big grain companies are hosing us too badly on price per bushel. I think it is volume where they make their money. And like someone already mentioned, that is how business works.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I reject the argument of "thats just how business works"..the rules change once your annual profits are in the billions and you have dedicated lobbyists in the governements ears- we aren't talking about farmer Joe with a 3000 acre farm business here.
It doesn't have to work like that. We owned the damn thing and everything was run at-cost. And if we created it again, we could design it exactly the way we wanted.
I'm not going to comment on the last few years of the board as it had been infiltrated by those wanting to dismantle it - farmers lost trust in them at that time.

, that is how business works.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I can't read any more of this BS without replying. We never owned it. It was horribly run and blew our grain out to third world countries for a fraction of what our returns should have been. Perhaps because the desk sellers were incompetent perhaps because they just didn't care with no real skin in the game. Stress bonus time. Perhaps they had too much to sell and just had to move it at any price. When wheat went to $20/bu we weren't selling because we were forced to BUY it at that price to fill contracts we were short on. That's why the rest of the world hated it, because we sold grain far too cheap. It drove prices down in the world, not up. It was a Liberal dream to skim money for defeated backbenchers. LOL 'at cost'! How many of them were hired on at the CWB as 'consultants'? WTF does a failed liberal MP from Ontario know about the business of western wheat? Did they ever darken the door of the Winnipeg office or just get cheques at their retirement cabins? Ever wonder why the books could never be opened? They lost the CWB gravy train and moved on to more bold money grafting schemes like the WE charity debacle.

It's dead and gone thankfully. Never coming back. I don't even care about any assets lost. I'm finally making real money growing wheat now. I'm just sorry my father had to go through his entire farming career under the boot of those eastern bas tards. 'Nuf said about this. Drop it.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I’ve always been on the fence regarding the CWB, what really bugs me is we had a vote, not a yes or no vote. So we had a vote and 62% wanted a dual market, so what does Harper do, he gives the CWB to a foreign country instead of letting farmers try to setup a Co-op or some other form of marketing. Harper had a hard on for the CWB and wanted to make sure that it would never survive. And that all I want to say on this subject.

PS, Ritz Cracker as just a puppet in this transaction, just a failed stupid ostrich farmer who now as been inducted into Agriculture hall of fame or whatever.

141 - 160 of 171 Posts