The Combine Forum banner

161 - 171 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
This is the chart I'm referring to.
I'm not saying the WB was perfect and was still a slave to world markets - but now that every grain buyer has a profit to make there is going to be more downward trend , back logs on the rail lines, etc ..especially after the Saudi owned G3 starts deciding it wants to make a profit instead of simply providing cheap food for its homeland. Is $5/bu adjusted for inflation what we consider good these days ?? I think we deserve a lot more myself.

Is there also a chart that shows world population and world wheat production for these same years? As population grew was wheat production just keeping up or surpassing world population? One chart doesn’t show the whole picture and can be read however you want to see it. When compared with other factors the whole story becomes more clear. Some of the older members probably remember a time in their life’s when they couldn’t imagine countries like Russia ever growing enough grain to feed itself let alone become an exporter to compete against.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Is there also a chart that shows world population and world wheat production for these same years? As population grew was wheat production just keeping up or surpassing world population? One chart doesn’t show the whole picture and can be read however you want to see it. When compared with other factors the whole story becomes more clear. Some of the older members probably remember a time in their life’s when they couldn’t imagine countries like Russia ever growing enough grain to feed itself let alone become an exporter to compete against.
Older member, well, it is what it is:rolleyes::)
Ahh, the good old days. 2 bushel quota. Pay your bills with that. A couple articles for anyone who wants a reminder of the good old days.

I remember that quote, we've wasted 40 years staying inside Kanukistan.
the West should have gone it's way. Whether we got 400 Billion $ for our oil at world prices or left it in the ground, we would either have the money or the oil, the ROC would not have got it. It may have forced them to step up and develop their own resources.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
You got it exactly right.. almost 7 years later and we haven't got a penny for the assets we used to own.. cargill, pioneer, etc all sitting pretty with horrible wheat bids. Sometimes don't know how good you've got it until it's gone.

Even more important now that Bayer /Monsanto , Potash mergers have happened and now looks like our seed will be owned by the same corps.. the pools are looking like the best thing we ever had !!
You're delusional if you think the farmer had any assets. It was all owned and controlled by government.

News flash. Big grain companies were always in the drivers seat.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you .. yes, this is exactly why I brought this up. It was taken without consent and not on our terms. We could have salvaged something designed the way we all wanted it to run.

I’ve always been on the fence regarding the CWB, what really bugs me is we had a vote, not a yes or no vote. So we had a vote and 62% wanted a dual market, so what does Harper do, he gives the CWB to a foreign country instead of letting farmers try to setup a Co-op or some other form of marketing. Harper had a hard on for the CWB and wanted to make sure that it would never survive. And that all I want to say on this subject.

PS, Ritz Cracker as just a puppet in this transaction, just a failed stupid ostrich farmer who now as been inducted into Agriculture hall of fame or whatever.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The past is the past now. Yeah the govt muffed up on the transition but 8 years later would I want the CWB back? NO BLOODY WAY!!!! As far as farmers getting the assets and forming a cooperative although quaint and well principled is so 1920. G3 would be nothing if it wasn’t for an infusion of Saudi money. The SWP AWP UGG MWP all had their day and ended **** up owned by the crook hiding out in Switzerland. As much as I lament for a strong farmer coop I know there’s more tangible things to dream about.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is confusing to me , if you lament- why not take action and get a coop / pool (whatever you want to name it) back ?

After all, what better model to have than an organization that keeps money in the local economy, is run/owned by farmers and returns a % back to them.

The alternative is what we are enduring right now (all inputs bought and grain sold to the same foreign owned entity which doesn't cycle back to the farmer in any way)

The next things on the same people's list is: 1. Making the Canadian Grain Commission weak, so the same foreign entities can regulate grain grading themselves- the future will be "nope, its a #3 because that's we say it is - take it or leave it"
2. Ownership of seed by foregin entities : check out "Seed Synergy" and "Value Creation" (that's a whole other can of worms)

..but you see where this is going.. greed is a powerful driver.

The past is the past now. Yeah the govt muffed up on the transition but 8 years later would I want the CWB back? NO BLOODY WAY!!!! As far as farmers getting the assets and forming a cooperative although quaint and well principled is so 1920. G3 would be nothing if it wasn’t for an infusion of Saudi money. The SWP AWP UGG MWP all had their day and ended **** up owned by the crook hiding out in Switzerland. As much as I lament for a strong farmer coop I know there’s more tangible things to dream about.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I wanted to try to stay away from politician talk as much as possible , but yes, any leader who tries to silence science and scientists and steals organizations without democratic process is bad news for everyone of us (especially those of us who practice science daily)

Much too late for that, Harper made sure that the CWB would RIP when he sold it to a foreign country.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Funny you don't here a peep out of the pro wheat board crowd when wheat is 7-9 dollars a bushel. Now all of a sudden with wheat at 5-6 ish dollars a bushel they want the old system back.
I say no way, market the wheat yourself and if you cant make it with wheat, grow something else. pretty much cut and dry I think.! DAD showed me his permit book from the 60s and 70s and showed me how they had to shift acres around on them to deliver their crops. That was one h ell of a screwed up system and cant believe it lasted so long. Best thing was in the 90s when oats left the single desk cwb. Any one remember the year? any ways we made more money on oats than wheat after the change.
OH Man , and someone on here had to bring up the stress money the folks at the wheat board were given. arrrrh.........

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'm thinking, NF123, The Donkey and DSDesert may all be one and the same. Just trying to stir the pot to get post counts up.

161 - 171 of 171 Posts