The Combine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Personally, I'm anti-drug, but with various states and provinces "legalizing" medicinal and/or recreational weed, I'm just curious about mechanized harvesting. Chasing the almighty dollar and all that ( though I personally won't be chasing that revenue stream, at least until the feds legalize it also ). Not being familiar with the structure or physical characteristics of marijuana plants, I'm not sure if mechanized harvesting is even possible, figured somebody on here might know (organic growers, maybe? ;))

Obviously, please delete this thread if it is inappropriate for this forum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think that they have combines that harvest hemp, which is suppose to be similar to marijuana.
I'm sure if grow it somewhere on a field by harvest time there will be nothing left. lol

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
Hemp is much like weed... lots of it grown around ethelbert...

Anyway you harvest the seed... for the medicinal use you want the buds... hard to just do that with a machine unless you want to strip all the leaves too. ..

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
My cousin grew a few plants on my farm 15+ years ago, unfortunately the cows ate them all, bad news for my cousin, but the cows seemed happier.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Why bother with a harvester? Just put a U-pick sign up and it will be stripped to the dirt within a weekend.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
"Medical grade" cannabis needs to be grown in a green house, if your going to do it legally. While you can grow it out doors, in western canada, in our growing season you would get one crop. If your grow location is outside, you would never get approval to grow in Canada, because your not able to provide adequate security.

In a green house, you can get 3-4 crops a year, all the harvesting, pruning, transplanting, and what have you is done by hand. If you want to get a license to grow the stuff, you better be sure your past is clean, because the take a pretty close look at your past. Then you can also expect random and scheduled inspections, you know to make sure your not selling on the black market.

The money is reasonably good from what I have read, and understand. I looked into doing this, but the hoops to jump threw don't justify the end result for me, in my situation. It may differ in your area.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
When I was a kid and there was a run of drug traffickers being apprehended at the boarders and Cheach and Chong were the movie of the day I often wondered what would happen if it was baled up and loaded on a truck and hauled across the border. I figured hidden in plain sight, the dogs would be going nuts and they would search the truck top to bottom and not find a thing :D

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I actually looked into the contracts after they shut the mine down at FlinFlon ( they put a gov't grow-op in an abandoned mineshaft, but being typical gov't, they couldn't grow ****) and I have to say they weren't very forthcoming with information. Unlike the small personal use exemptions, they told me they were not issuing any new contracts. Apparently that changed when the drug companies decided to get into it. Security is a big concern so you won't be growing it in fields like hemp, more like something similar to Fort Knox. In the end I decided living with a security force wasn't worth pursuing it anyway.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Talk to the Taliban. They have been raising poppy legally in Afghanistan for years. Only in the uptight, over-regulated western civilization are we not free to farm what we want

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't think I'd be holding up the Taliban as an example of non-over-regulatory gov't. The Somali government seems rather hands-off, from what I've read.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
When I was a kid and there was a run of drug traffickers being apprehended at the boarders and Cheach and Chong were the movie of the day I often wondered what would happen if it was baled up and loaded on a truck and hauled across the border. I figured hidden in plain sight, the dogs would be going nuts and they would search the truck top to bottom and not find a thing :D
We had a load of hay delayed once because of this issue. Feds knocked all the bales off the truck then left the mess. Hay grower had to go down to border and reload the bales to get them here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts