The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How well do canola and flax handle big rains when they get ripe for harvest. Like alot of you we have had 3.5 inches in the last 8 days. Both crops will be straight cut. Hearing of alot of wheat and durum sprouting here. But have never heard of anyone having canola or flax sprout. But just curious how it does if we get wet again.

·
Registered
358 Posts
We are closer to 6” in the same time frame. I started on the canola yesterday. I haven't seen any sprouting. I hope the flax is the same. Our durum is shot.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Canola will sprout but it doesn't seem to cause many issues, not like when cereals sprout. Elevators don't seem to worry about it much either. That is subject to change.

·
Premium Member
5,261 Posts
Oilseeds seem to take the rain really well. We have never had flax sprout and it takes a pile of rain to sprout canola.

Diesldog how is the durum in general in your area? Guys are just starting to harvest durum around us and a lot of the early stuff has light bushel weight. After all the rain good durum is going to be hard to find. Hopefully the price will start going up.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Durum and wheat that are left are gonna be close to junk. Hearing alot of sprout. Maybe 25% done county wide. Loys and lots of cereals still out there.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Canola does sprout, and if graded correctly, the sprouts should be counted as damaged. If the sprouting is bad enough and the elevator uses the correct sieves, it will take some of it out. Higher dockage but could save a grade. As for flax, I have never seen it sprout, but the boles get all gummy and the flax can not be separated from the boles.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Have seen the same thing as what lurker had posted happen . When flax gets wet there is a coating on the outside of the seed that gets all slimy and kind of gums up the boll and you can't separate the seed from the dividers and you get a crumby sample but I guess that the oil is ok . And have seen canola sprout while in the swath or standing but not usually a major issue -- remember thrashing canola when freezing and busting through ice that had formed in the swather tracks and it still graded #2 after drying .

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I had a customer years ago call me in the fall concerned about his flax sprouting in the swath. I told him not to worry as i had bought LOTS of flax over the years and quite a bit of spring thrash and NEVER heard of it sprouting. He said "well...it is". I went to do a field check and what do you know...it WAS sprouted. Flip a swath over and it was GROWING and not just a little. It looked like the bean sprouts you buy in the store. Now, having said that, that is the only time in 25 years of buying grain that I had ever even HEARD of flax sprouting and, as the producer lamented "It's the biggest flax crop I've ever seen" which may have contributed to the problem as the swaths were HUGE for flax and it was the bottom of the swaths that was sprouting. While it's obviously possible, it's so unlikely that i wouldn't worry about it. I've also seen canola sprout but that too, is unusual but not as unusual as flax and Lurker is correct about it being considered "damaged".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts