The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any good tips to increase canola capacity for the CTS11. my dad had one years ago and it used to get 660 bu/hour in 32bu crops, the one i have purchased battles to get 400bu. there is of course variatal differences.

had someone tell me about a force feed feeder chain but it is no longer in production; is there an alternative.

going to put dual belts on the beater in the high speed position.

the beater is the issue as the night comes and the cylinder in the day. i run as many revs on the cylinder as i can until seives overload to overcome toughness.

i am also told not to run the feedchain in the corn position to stop slug feeding but this would restict feeding capacity. but having said that it gets a cylinder block at fairly regular intervals.

any suggestions. Australian conditions but the days are fairly mild when harvesting canola and the nights get quite tough.

·
Registered
346 Posts
make sure you compare the same canola varietys, i use to have two of them and found certain types mad a world of difference on a marginal canola machine, I am told that the beater drive was bigger and heavier on the 9650 cts, iwas going to try that but traded one offf on a sts instead

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
So is your issue feeding the thing or is it losses? As saskfarmboy said some varieties just go through better then others.

As far as losses go that ussually wasn't the reason the cts slows down.

One thing I found out when we got our sts was it was a way better canola 'bine then the cts was. Only marginally better in cereals though.

I still remember the first time the cts was demoed against the 9600 Wow!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
feeding has only been a minor issue and i am going to rebuild the front clutch this year as i is making noises.

heard the other day that a force feed feeder chain has wider slats and the suggestion is to weld flat bar onto a new feed chain to make it more aggressive.

real problem is cylinder blocks, when i got it i fitted a new cylinder drive belt , but it is hard to say if it improved much as it seemed to get burnt at fairly regular occasions, i geuss i just expected more from the machine as my previous experiences indicated.

also are the new pickups really that good , i just run a 9 belt swathmaster and my dad put a new 615 pickup on his sts and it really made an amazing difference. is there any experience out there for cts11 with new 615p pickups and how much difference it made.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
It seems the 615 helps if your forward ground speed consistently is above 4 miles per hour. if you are going slower the 914 or others are adequet. Solution is to swath with a wider swather.

The real advantage of the 615 is it won't break up on you if you run at 6 mph (10 kmph) I have knocked both castor wheels of my 914 and would like to have a 615p but i know the real solution is to get a wider front for the windrower. I direct cut most crops so it is becoming less of a needed thing

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
No personal experience with the CTS but i know pfparts.com offers a cylinder that is supposed to be a beast in everything, you might give mike there a call he's super knowledgable.

·
Super Moderator
1,449 Posts
I dont have much experience with JD but i can say that new pickups are miles infront of older ones, we have an old super8 and harvest just gone borrowed a neighbours new pickup and the difference was amazing as fast as the combine would go the faster it picked it up. One thing that might help your pickup is the philips roller down.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Manchester Manufacturing Company, who builds the Force-Feed feeder chains, is apparently still in business, they still have a website: http://www.manchestermfg.com/forcefeed.html Phone is (580)694-2292. First tried them in the mid-1970s on a 95 with a QT feederhouse that would backfeed horribly when the straw got slick, and the Manchester chain solved that problem and gave the machine about a 10% boost in capacity with no other changes, just because it fed so well. Have no experience with canola, but it would be worth your while to give them a call and see what they have to say. Don't know what they do on rotary machines, but on conventional and CTS machines, putting a Manchester chain in it would be the first thing I'd do. A combine has to be fed evenly for the rest of the machine to do its job well too. If I were you, I'd sure take the time to give them a call.

·
Registered
745 Posts
We importet 2 CTS maximiziers in the 90's. Thier canaloa capacity was awefull and that was the reason why we tradeed them for one other combine (Lexion480). In grains esp in wheat they performed well, but in canola it was a nightmare. They managed 2,5-3 km/h with a 6m header (in canola crop around 50dt/ha).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts