The Combine Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't preburn my RR canola in spring because it was to cold / no weeds. Did my first pass in crop in the mud. When it was time to do the 2nd pass water was standing in ruts from 1st pass. When it was dry enough to spray, canola was in 40%-50% bloom. was told NOT to spray because it would cause a reduction in yeild. 2 to 3 weeks from swathing and field looks horrible. LOTS of wildoats and thistle. Next time I will spray!!! I'll gladly take the reduced yield then have to look and deal with this mess. Worst thing is waiting to swath and not been able to do anything about it till then. Field has lots of potholes and small sharp hills. it's a challenge to spray at the best of times. Any one try spray RR canola this late?:mad::mad::mad:

·
Premium Member
5,967 Posts
We have liberty link canola that has a lot of drown out spots. The weeds love to take over the thin areas. A week ago I was spraying the low areas with liberty. Some were in early flowering and others were mid podding. I looked at it last night and wished I had sprayed more. If I were you I would preharvest with roundup before you swath so you have some weed control.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I'm thinking. Only wish I could spray now. Got 1/2" rain yesterday I'm sure the weeds will love that. Extremely frustrated. Crop looked good till about 2 weeks ago. Now I don't even want to drive that direction. At least no bugs YET!!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
If its out of flower, you can definitely spray it! You can't hurt the yield now. But would be better to wait until desiccation timing and do it then too. I would spray it. If it was too wet, should have ordered a plane or chopper.

·
Premium Member
5,967 Posts
We had a heavy rain that went through the area were my flooded canola is and it is too wet to do any spraying of the low ground. I it was dry I would be spraying more of mine.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had my canola sprayed with r up from plane last fall, ahead of straight cut. Just had to do headlands w ground rig. Manitoba

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
My RR canola is a mess also. The combination of wet seeding conditions causing some hairpinning with the disc drill, heavy rains drowning large sections out and not being able to get the second spray done on time sure thinned the crop out. Now I have canola that is getting close to being ready to swath, as well canola flowering and everything in between in the same field.
Wondering if I should be thinking about desiccating it with something like Heat or Liberty? Should I be worried about having green seeds in the sample if I did desiccate or would it dry down and change color?

·
Premium Member
5,967 Posts
Blueoval we have canola just as you describe. I think we will likely spray it in stages and straight cut it in stages. If we swath or spray the low areas that are late too early I think we will loose anything that is there for yield.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
I'm kinda worried about loosing that late growth too. Also kinda worried about leaving it to straight cut as even the good areas are thin. It's gonna be a challenge.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Roundup weathermax is approved for aerial application.

Blue oval man, last year I had drown out spots (large ones) that were very late, and I sprayed them down with with roundup (was liberty canola) and then cut it. There was some green seeds but not near as much as we thought. I think if you use heat or reglone too early you'd be in a mess for green seeds, but at swathing time it should be ok. So hard to say I think what would be best. Other places I cut canola that still had some blooms on, yes yield was poor but there wasn't a huge number of greens. It best swathing around stuff, did that once and never again!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
If its out of flower, you can definitely spray it! You can't hurt the yield now. But would be better to wait until desiccation timing and do it then too. I would spray it. If it was too wet, should have ordered a plane or chopper.
Whatever you do don't spray it now or you will cook the yield. RR canola losses it's tolerance as it gets bigger, you won't kill it but you won't help it. Go in after harvest with prepass and spike the Gly to 360g/ac

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Disaster Update

Ended up spraying canola with 1L roundup a week before swathing. Burned down everthing including canola. Yielded just under 25 bushels/acre before dockage. Hauled 1st load yesterday. 10% dockage. Better then I thought. sample looks bad. I believe spraying before swathing really hurt yield. But not spraying would have made swathing and dry down a nightmare. In hindsight I should have sprayed at 30% bloom in July. Yeild might not have bin much better but at least field would be cleaner. That was a expensive lesson. Rest of canola yielded 40 ish:(

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
neighbours sprayed canola in full bloom I didn't figured it was too late they made right call theres out yielded mine and cleaner field

·
Registered
303 Posts
Another factor to this situation as well is if your field has cleavers.

At Viterra Cleavers (admixture) over 1% drop you to #2.
Over 3% is sample.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts