The Combine Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hot off the press. I know there are some "green" pics in here but I didn't want to post them twice.

This year so far the NH was doing a better job in the canola. The only difference is at night when the straw gets tough, the NH has to slow down more than the Deere.

I'm a sucker for scenery pics so here are some from where we were combining. South-Central Alberta,(near Drumheller-Rosebud).

This hawk met his demise beside where we were combining yesterday too.

Our canola has been yielding in the low 40's. I thought this would be the best field as it was mostly fallow from last year. This field was seeded a week after the rest because of heavy rain. That week cost 7-10 bpa because the plants didn't flower as long because of the July heat.

·
Super Moderator
4,011 Posts
9860jd

As you know we are running that combo as well. I agree with your comments on yield and performance. Also 9870 yesterday.

Don

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Very nice pics, 9860jd. It is very interesting to see the two machines in same field in same crop. The comparison would be interesting, too.

It's too bad about the young red-tailed hawk, though. Clearly those insulators are just too close together--a problem once addressed by rural utility companies in order to prevent killing too many raptors.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jester, as far as feeding, ours doesn't have a problem there. It's just at night if the straw is tough, she growls and shudders so you have to back off on the ground speed some and the Deere seems less affected. I don't get to drive much as I'm usually on the truck. The reason we don't have 2 greens or 2 yellows is that we had run only one green machine for years. But an increase in farm acres and a late harvest in '05 meant we were looking for a 2nd machine at the last minute. The JD dealer couldn't get another 9860 so we went with our NH dealer who could supply the size of machine we needed right away. If the hawk has fallen off the wire by now, I can take it to the game warden and they will check it over to see that I haven't shot it. Then they'll give me a permit and I can get it stuffed. The only problem is that my wife isn't crazy about decorating the house with stuffed birds. I have a golden eagle from a few years ago that met the same fate.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Quote: If the hawk has fallen off the wire by now, I can take it to the game warden and they will check it over to see that I haven't shot it. Then they'll give me a permit and I can get it stuffed. The only problem is that my wife isn't crazy about decorating the house with stuffed birds. I have a golden eagle from a few years ago that met the same fate.

You guys in Canada are so fortunate to have that law. I think it's great, too.
Here in the US, such birds are off-limits, period. Yes, that includes ALL road kills, electrocutions, birds killed by natural disasters, etc. At least once a year, I get 1-3 calls or people coming by in person with anything from a pretty songbird to a raptor, either found as a road kill or caught by the cat or even just crashed into a picture window.

I have to just turn them away. There's just NO legal means of possessing these, even though none were deliberately killed.
According to federal law, save for Natives, even the mere possession of feathers or talons, is totally illegal!

The ONLY exceptions are having the finder of such birds turn them in to a game warden, who in turn holds them [if he wants to] while the right paperwork can be made up, then I [or any other fed lic taxidermist] can mount them, but MUST SURRENDER BACK to any public institution-museum, library, school, state/fed office, etc. for display.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Quote:
It's too bad about the young red-tailed hawk, though. Clearly those insulators are just too close together

Well then he shouldn't have been on the line!

Great pictures, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
125 Posts
What is the differance in fuel consumption. We are very satisfide with under 10 can gal/hr on our cr960. Did 9.05 can gal/hr average for the year. Thats 10.18 us gal/hr.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yellow,
As far as fuel consumption, I don't know specific numbers but I'd say Mr. Deere is thirstier.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Enjoyed all your pics. I am originally from Dalum so the scenery all looks somewhat familiar and I was always trying to figure out where you were. I do recognize the photo with the elevators/bin complex so now I have a better idea. Keep the pics coming.

·
Super Moderator
4,011 Posts
Quote:Is that green canola stubble hard on tires? The stubble looks like small cut brush kinda. Nice photos

Good question. I see wear marks at the bottom of lugs but radials last longer giving more time to show. The stalks bend easy and are usually tall, so it wouldn't be the same degree as corn stalks. I'm not sure cereal stubble, shorter, skinner is any less bad.
Any tire experts in the house?

Don

1 - 17 of 17 Posts