The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how much longer straight cut canola would take to be ready to combine vs. swathed? All things being equal. It's 5440 and L140P probably run in that 45-55 bpa range if that matters.

I realize there's countless variables just looking for a ballpark or range you've experienced?

Probably be trying 20-30% straight cut. My problem is I only have one flex header. A NH 973. And I'd like to be able to keep two machines going.

Maybe I'm trying to overthink this.:confused:

·
Registered
456 Posts
straight cut canola

Have no direct experience with desiccation or straight cutting canola, but from what I have seen in in west central alberta the difference between picking up swaths is measured in wks, not days on that type of crop. For non-desiccation need real killing frost first for sure.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Last year I had one field of canola that I left part of it to straight cut. It was 45H29 at just under 50bpa. Some rain came, and both combines were in the field at the same time, one picking up swaths and one straight cutting, but some swaths were ready about a week earlier.

I use a 635 hydoflex, an auger header works great imo.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think your table is very short , meaning not much room between cutterbar and auger and are affraid you loose seed there. New augers have a piece in between that part for that reason.
There is probably a foot extra between the cutterbar and auger as compared to my rigid 971. I actually won't use it in cereals because, there is too much space that I have to run the reels right on the cutterbar to push it into the auger and then it slug feeds. Works great though in tall bushy peas.

I'm thinking canola should be similar?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.