The Combine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what chemicals are you guys using on your peas so you can grow canola the following year--ive been using pursuit followed with a clearfeild canola but would be happier growing either an invigor or roundup up variety for yeild reasons

·
Registered
278 Posts
I grew peas in 2013 on some ground and then followed up with RR canola. It worked ok that way. We vertical tilled the residue prior to seeding.

I think that if I do this again, I would use Edge Granular before planting the peas --- and pray for not too much rain.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Used Oddesey DLX on 3 different pea crops followed by Invigor canola. Above average rain during the pea crop left no noticeable chemical damage, great canola the following year. With Viper you would have 0 issues.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
What does the rotation look like for most doing canola after peas? 1 year of cereals or 2 before the next pea crop?

Any issues with surface of the pea stubble being too dry at canola seeding time? The only time I tried it I had to seed my canola over 1" deep to hit moisture.

·
Registered
349 Posts
We did heat pre peas, then viper in crop. Fairly clean crop , there was a second flush of cleavers that we did not see where we sprayed odyssey. We always try to grow HRSW on pea stubble , it is always our most profitable wheat. How much of a yield bump do you guys see with canola on pea stubble? Next year will be the first year doing this. We grow a lot of our peas on canola stubble then followed by wheat.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what rate of viper are you guys using? in the blue book it says to follow viper with a clearfeild variety only? also is viper anything like pursuit? our soil is called thin black--some guys that used pursuit initially at the 85ml rate had canola 2 yrs later that didnt grow

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think you are doing that rotation backwards.... we seed peas onto canola stubble, don't have to worry abt dry seed bed or chemical residues affecting the canola, and are growing a crop that is ok with the low nitrogen levels on the canola stubble.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
what rate of viper are you guys using? in the blue book it says to follow viper with a clearfeild variety only? also is viper anything like pursuit? our soil is called thin black--some guys that used pursuit initially at the 85ml rate had canola 2 yrs later that didnt grow
There shouldn't be any residuals in viper that would affect canola the following year.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i guess my thinking was to give the canola abit of extra nh3 from the pea stubble--also my canola stubble is some of my dirtiest in the spring--especially if you plant the peas early before much is growing--with pre-harvest burnoff the previous fall on wheat stubble its not too bad to seed the peas before much is growing--i had an agronomist tell me i couldn't grow liberty or round up varieties after viper-pursuit etc because of our soil types-- thin black-- anyways thanks for the feed-back

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
We do it all the time. Seems to work good. Never had an issue with canola following peas sprayed with viper.

Have also do e it the other way around with mixed results. You better have a dessication plan in place. Undergrowth canola in peas is a nasty cocktail.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.