The Combine Forum banner

41 - 60 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
What interests me about the planters is the row cleaners. Really like the idea of a trash free black seedrow. Yet it seems hard to imagine that working well on a 12” space.
It's the combo of row cleaners, depth control and almost unlimited options for good closing wheel systems.

And yes in a 12" row trash clearance in no till with row cleaners just isn't there.
A few guys have jumped on this in the last couple years after I had done it and one went twin row like myself and the rest went with 15". The trash flow on the 15" system is a problem, especially if some types of tillage is done. The worst is ground where a NH3 applicator ran.

If ya got something with interplants you would be fine if ya don't want to VT everything. The twin row is working pretty well for trash clearance.

Friend of mine has been snapchatting me pics of his twin row canola as he sprays it, I'll screen shot a few pics for ya

·
Registered
880 Posts
can you expand on that?
Well in addition to the savings on seed the lower seeding rate allows for a much more aggressive fertility package because the canola stays standing.

I'm glad nobody feels insulted.
i see ok. So are you going purely for maximum yield or do you have a $ figure where its less profitable to put the extra fert And try to target that?

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
It's the combo of row cleaners, depth control and almost unlimited options for good closing wheel systems.

And yes in a 12" row trash clearance in no till with row cleaners just isn't there.
A few guys have jumped on this in the last couple years after I had done it and one went twin row like myself and the rest went with 15". The trash flow on the 15" system is a problem, especially if some types of tillage is done. The worst is ground where a NH3 applicator ran.

If ya got something with interplants you would be fine if ya don't want to VT everything. The twin row is working pretty well for trash clearance.

Friend of mine has been snapchatting me pics of his twin row canola as he sprays it, I'll screen shot a few pics for ya

Thanks sure would appreciate it. That answers some concerns alright.

·
Premium Member
8,181 Posts
i see ok. So are you going purely for maximum yield or do you have a $ figure where its less profitable to put the extra fert And try to target that?
I always try to maximize production. There is no point where the cost of fertilizer or another variable cost makes me less overall money, unless the crop goes flat. I have found that is always the line you have to brush up against because a flat crop doesn't yield like a standing one for several reasons.

This is soybeans planted with dual row cleaners on 15" into 180+ bushel oat stubble that had only been harrowed. Obviously fertilizer isn't a consideration with soybeans like it is with canola. I am grateful we didn't get a big wind and it's coming up beautiful.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Have any photo's of the finish the disk drill does on 7.5" spacing leaves say in the same stubble conditions?

I sure like the job that planter is doing on 15" spacing's. Can you set the aggressiveness of the trash cleaner's so they are not moving too much of the loamy stuff off the top?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Have any photo's of the finish the disk drill does on 7.5" spacing leaves say in the same stubble conditions?

I sure like the job that planter is doing on 15" spacing's. Can you set the aggressiveness of the trash cleaner's so they are not moving too much of the loamy stuff off the top?

I don't plant canola, but I also run dual row cleaners on 15" rows planting soybeans with a planter. On mine I can't set the aggressiveness, but I can set the height so they move more or less trash. I planted my beans directly into 50 bushel spring wheat stubble for the first time this year. I love the job a row cleaner does.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
This was seeded a week ago with a 25 yr old seedhawk, 27ft, 10”, tank mounted on back, valmar meters. Probably over paid for it at about $25,000. It’s our slough and alkaline spot seeder for after we are done putting crop in.

For the smaller farms that say they can’t afford independent opener drills, they are out there. This machine works great and is so simple.

Swman is gonna give me **** for seeding so thick though !

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,181 Posts

Planter has adjustable air pressure on the row cleaners so yes, as well as an adjustable solid stop at the bottom.

I'll be honest that the 7.5" spacing doesn't like heavy straw, not enough weight to put huge down-pressure needed to push deep through straw. I tried to zero-till peas into wiry oat stubble and it simply wouldn't work, had to fire up the protill. It does work well if a little bit of tillage is done. Here is 200+ oat stubble with fertilizer knifed in and a pass with the Elmer's Super-7:

And here is the same field operations, only wheat into soybean stubble. Canola stubble is very similar.

bjtjjl you wasted your money on the canola seed but I give you bonus points for getting it done with a low-cost drill.:wink:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,181 Posts
Swman what kind of planter you running?
The planter is not mine, custom work with a new CaseIH 2140. Only a few of these units out this year I think, much different from previous 1200 series.

The drill is a New Holland P2080 in case that's what you were really asking about.

·
Registered
880 Posts
not exactly what youre looking for but this is canola into heavy wheat stubble. 7.5" spacing. Two heavy harrow passes in fall and straight into the stubble in spring. Wheat was high 80's to low 90's yeild. Cdc plentiful, so lots of straw. Very dry this spring and set at .75 depth which was kinda shallow for this year. 3.3lbs acre @4.3tkw

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Anyone running a Horsch Maestro? looks really impressive on paper. Wonder how many hp it would take? We don’t raise corn but a planter for edibles, soys and canola is looking better every day.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
not exactly what youre looking for but this is canola into heavy wheat stubble. 7.5" spacing. Two heavy harrow passes in fall and straight into the stubble in spring. Wheat was high 80's to low 90's yeild. Cdc plentiful, so lots of straw. Very dry this spring and set at .75 depth which was kinda shallow for this year. 3.3lbs acre @4.3tkw

Looks great!
I take it that’s a disk drill? How are you applying N and how much p in the row?

Anyone running a Horsch Maestro? looks really impressive on paper. Wonder how many hp it would take? We don’t raise corn but a planter for edibles, soys and canola is looking better every day.
That’s what I initially started the thread out with the hopes someone here might have.

Turns out a local dealer took on Horsch this year and if it works out we’re going to do some testing this fall.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Looks great!
I take it that’s a disk drill? How are you applying N and how much p in the row?

That’s what I initially started the thread out with the hopes someone here might have.

Turns out a local dealer took on Horsch this year and if it works out we’re going to do some testing this fall.

Keep us updated if you do, it sure looks like a winner.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Looks great!
Looks ok. It is a disk drill. Ams broadcast before seeding N is split applied after seeding broadcast again and 42lbs p infurrow. Drill is capable of double shoot but cart is single shoot. have plans to change to double shoot at some point when i can find the right cart.

41 - 60 of 173 Posts