The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m looking to book some Canola for next year, not sure where prices are at, I was quoted $725 for L233PC with Lumiderm and Jumpstart and $710 for L255PC with same treatment. I’m not trying to make this a pissing contest, just want to know if these are fair prices. Might try some Brevant but haven’t heard any prices yet.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I’m looking to book some Canola for next year, not sure where prices are at, I was quoted $225 for L233PC with Lumiderm and Jumpstart and $710 for L255PC with same treatment. I’m not trying to make this a pissing contest, just want to know if these are fair prices. Might try some Brevant but haven’t heard any prices yet.
$225 for $233??? That must be a mistype?
I’m boycotting canola .... ridiculous seed cost for a worthless market!
I would grow the new 345 Invigor 11% higher than 233.
GROW MORE FOR LESS!!!!

·
Registered
912 Posts
You can get L233 with Lumiderm for well under $700. Don’t pay $725.
Best price I could find was $595 without Lumiderm, so add 90-100/bag.
But that was awhile back, pretty sure price goes up monthly. Atleast some retailers do that.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I’m all for getting value for money and grew 5440 for a number of years then L252. This year I grew L233p and with the pod shatter gene it saved me a major chunk of my crop. I still like to swath my canola and with the dry summer giving me multiple stages in the crop some was crispy dry and ten feet away plants were still green. The extra money that was paid for the shatter gene was paid back many times. I agree that we are getting screwed over for the money we are paying for seed but research and development of new technology and special traits has to be paid for. 5440 at $500 a bag or 233p for $700 is $16 an acre difference at 4lbs seeding rate. I’m pretty sure I would have lost more than a bushel and a half without the shatter gene.

·
Registered
988 Posts
The shatter gene is nice and gives so many options in questionable harvests. I think that the price of our canola seed should be reflected by our sale price though. We all need to earn a profit in agriculture, not just the huge seed and chemical companies. They are taking steps every yr to ensure higher profits for themselves. What option do farmers have to do this.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Did Anyone do BASF survey on canola seed rates. I put that in the comments that price of Canola is down and so should the cost of seed. I still think canola should be over $12

·
Registered
912 Posts
Canola acres in the south IMO will be up next yr regardless of seed cost, or what the commodity is worth. Root rot was in full force last year. Some fields were so bad there was very little to be combined. No pulses for 8-10 years will leave a big hole to fill.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Canola acres in the south IMO will be up next yr regardless of seed cost, or what the commodity is worth. Root rot was in full force last year. Some fields were so bad there was very little to be combined. No pulses for 8-10 years will leave a big hole to fill.
Really. Hum. Canola prices around 10bucks isn’t going to buy a lot of acres when you need 40-45bu crops to break even and the banks and crop input suppliers are tightening credit lines.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Really. Hum. Canola prices around 10bucks isn’t going to buy a lot of acres when you need 40-45bu crops to break even and the banks and crop input suppliers are tightening credit lines.
Lentil prices are in da sheeter, anyone I talk to is growing canola because their crap insurance coverage is higher than any pulse crop. Pulses are destroying equipment and the price of pulses aren’t paying the fixing of this equipment.
Peas .... well they are at a worthless price.
I have plans for next year ..... canola is not part of it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts