The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I find it irritating that Canola seed is priced in $ per lb and that the TKW can vary a great deal. I had a salesman call about booking canola seed. With early booking discount of $15/bag, Invigor L140P sells at $14.46/lb. Seed size becomes an issue when the seeds are so large that 5lb/acre is not enough to make the recommended plant stand.

For Example,

Assuming the TKW is 6 grams, actual seed in the bag is 95% and seedling survival of 80%, to make a stand of 10 plants per acre you need 7.5 lbs/acre ($108/acre).

That would be fine if every seed survived and every stem was 3/4" across but that is not the case. Plant performance is not always great and its always someone else's fault (never the seed company's).

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Is anyone gung hoe after thus years results and going to pay an extra $15 per acre for 140p over 252, 5440, or 130?
No, but I will plant some. Not crazy about $13.72 for a pound of canola seed.:mad:

I think all of this leads to lower seeding rates and ultimately lower canola acres, which is probably a good thing for everybody in many ways. I won't be growing as much canola going forward as I used to.

I do agree that for the price of this seed it should be sized and sold by seed-count.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Lol buy before Oct 15 before it's sold out. You'd think after 10 years of the same bs line people would learn its shortages are bogus. Also I sure hope you think 140P is worth it, $20/acre more for seed and $20 more extra than rr for chem, you need 4-5 bushels more yield just to break even.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
Lol buy before Oct 15 before it's sold out. You'd think after 10 years of the same bs line people would learn its shortages are bogus. Also I sure hope you think 140P is worth it, $20/acre more for seed and $20 more extra than rr for chem, you need 4-5 bushels more yield just to break even.
Well by my math it's only about $11/acre more for 3.5# of L140P seed than a premium RR variety. Also an application of 1.35 liters Liberty is about $9.25/acre so even if you 2-pass how does that compare to the TUA and 2 shots of glyphosate? Next how much does it cost to control RR volunteers in soybeans, or in fall, or in a late spring?

Below is a picture of 5440 seeded at 3.5#/acre, 4.68 gram TKW at cotyledon and cabbage. I think there is almost too many seeds and thus am considering going to 3# this year. It would be helpful to know the TKW when making this decision though, which is why the OP has a very valid point.;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,951 Posts
This is the reason we cut canola acres in half and are growing Synergy polish.

a 3rd the cost for seed. Less inputs to grow the same bushels. Less insect pressure.

I have a hard time paying 70 an acre for seed 70 an acre for fert 20 an acre for chem... Then having it make 15 bushels an acre worth 9 a bushel. Somehow this doesn't seem right, does it?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Bayer is trying to extract from us another 4-5% over last years price for the same variety. The problem is we are completely at their mercy if you want yo grow liberty link canola because there is no competition.
Exactly. I refuse to grow RR canola and we already have Clearfield lentils so i don't want Clearfield canola. It would be nice if there was some competition for the Liberty Link system.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bayer is trying to extract from us another 4-5% over last years price for the same variety. The problem is we are completely at their mercy if you want yo grow liberty link canola because there is no competition.
I heard that Pioneer will have a LL variety for 2016. Hopefully it'll be worth growing.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.