The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G’day all after some settings for haversting windrowed canola. Crop yield is around 2.5T to the ha. With reasonable grain weight. Current settings are. Concaves large, small, slot, slot. Rotor speed 580. Fan speed 650, pre sieve 2, upper 10 lower 8. Can’t seem to get the capacity out of the machine. Get around 13t an hour above that starts loosing it over the seives. Thank you.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Have you done a kill stall? I don’t have any experience with canola, but I have found it’s nearly impossible to lose grain over the sieves of a flagship, most likely it’s coming from the rotor. What I have found easy to do also is open your windrow door and harvest some, then you can tell if it’s coming out the rotor (grain will be in the wind row) or off the sieves (grain will be spread out)

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
With canola you just can't expect full capacity out of any machine. Losses are always the limiting factor. What's your ground speed when the losses start to spike? Your T/hr is pretty good in my experience, not far off of our typical rate here in Alberta. But conditions are very different here I'm sure.

For what it's worth we rarely go over 3.5 mph with 25' swathes. 7230 here. 3 T/ha yield. In heavier stuff that's in the mid to high 60 bpa (3.6T/ha or more), we go even slower. like 3 mph. Wouldn't matter if we had a 9230 (which is one reason we chose specifically to stick with class 7 machines).

Unless you've adjusted the linkage on your pre sieve to make sure it's really closed when it's closed, the number is meaningless. Canola is so small that you really just want to close the pre sieve all the way. However having it open won't affect losses at all, just trash in the sample. Pre sieve should be open no wider than the size of seeds you're harvesting.

Interesting how different conditions are from place to place. We run our top sieve at 5 or 6 and the bottom sieve at 3. Fan about 600-650.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are you running your rotor an sieve sensitivity? I figure that’s probably the best I’ll get out of the machine harvesting a windrow.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have my rotor at 80 and sieve at 50, again that is in small grains not canola, but I had someone tell me to do that with the rotor sensitivity and it made a huge difference. If you get the rotor losses under control the sieve will be low also, he thought it has to do with grain from the rotor bouncing down and hitting the sieve sensors and it seems to be correct.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Our canola settings for a 9230, max speed 4 mph, running in 30’ swaths yielding about 3t/ha.
Rotor 700
Concave 18mm
Fan 670
Top sieve 13
Bottom sieve 9
Pre sieve 2
Adjust as needed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts