The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are having trouble getting a clean canola sample with our sts. Concave at 25, rotor at 500, chaffer at 15, sieve at 2, and fan around 700. We have too many pieces of pod in our sample. I struggle to get nice looking samples in most crops. Where do I need to change my thinking in setting the machine to clean things up? thanks for any suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
I assume you have small wire concave all wires in? Tightening chaffer will help but there is a fine line between clean and loss, 700 fan might be high. You might try running feed accelerator on slow speed.
The real solution is:
Change color (seems unlikely judging by your handle) OR
Talk Deere into ditching the auger bed material mixing system (Hey, a new acronym for Deere MMS)
Either way I wish you luck.

Don

·
Registered
378 Posts
It has been a couple of years, but if I remember right we ran our fan around 900. Most guys are scared to let the air do the cleaning. Bring the air high enough so that you know you are blowing some grain over the back (by watching the loss monitor while going a steady speed), and then back the fan off about 50 rpm. Setting the fan properly while the combine is under load will give some loss at the row end or if you are in a very light crop and not able to keep the machine full. You should be able to open the sieve a bit too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts