The Combine Forum banner

61 - 80 of 346 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
As producers do we stop buying from Syngenta to make our voice heard? They are Chem China after all. Meaningless in the grand scheme of things but what else can we stop buying from them? Toasters? Bearings? They are everywhere! Not the toasters of course. But the bearings.
Well look at our avenues. Current liberal govt full of imbecils trying to find a scientific solution to a political problem some 60 days out. Our farm groups sit in stunned silence. Canola seed and chemical companies are the only target left. Some seed and chemical cancellations should get some attention. I cancelled my seed a month ago and hope the Chinese wont target flax as hard. I can store that longer if I have to.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
As producers do we stop buying from Syngenta to make our voice heard? They are Chem China after all. Meaningless in the grand scheme of things but what else can we stop buying from them? Toasters? Bearings? They are everywhere! Not the toasters of course. But the bearings.

That's a really really good idea. Count me in.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
Good thought, but I doubt the Chinese government will care if a couple of us cancel some chemical orders. And I suspect flax will be hit within a couple weeks. Time to order some bins.

·
Registered
130 Posts
And the final shoe drops. China cancels all canola sales. You had to know it was coming.

https://www.country-guide.ca/daily/china-stops-buying-canadian-canola/
The grain handlers have seen this coming for months, that’s what drove prices down all winter. The canola council is just reporting what the grain companies have been experiencing. Chinese officials haven’t released any sort of statement to this effect yet, the buyers just haven’t been making contracts, and why would they? Richardson and the crush plants they dealt with had the door slammed in their face, are Viterra and Cargil willing to take the risk of committing to business they may not be able to execute, likewise for the Chinese buyer, it’s not necessarily the Chinese gov’t making these purchases.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
China can run the world. They are the new super power.
You know why?
China is not full of millennials who dont want to work sitting in mom and dads basement playing video games... its an extreme case, but shows what a country can do if it wants to work for a living.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts

You can't stop buying Chinese. I bought "Motorcraft" 4x4 cross kits a couple of days ago. Paid 3x what I would have online because I wanted to be sure I had "quality". They came in a bag with a Ford logo and Made in China prominently printed on the bag. We're doomed.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
If China is dong this to protest the detention of that chinese business woman, they are barking up the wrong tree. Our federal government doesn't give a ratsazz about western farmers. It won't even register with them. The Chinese should go after businesses/industry in Quebec if they want to get our governments attention.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Curious, so China says they will not buy Canadian canola (and now other crops). They will STILL want to buy canola, just not from Canada. So, they go elsewhere. Where are they going to go??, Australia?, USA?, EU?. Do those countries have the production to fill Canada's absence without taking that production from other markets? I doubt it. So those other markets that used to buy from those countries that can no longer supply because they picked up the Chinese market will get theirs form.........Canada?. Point being, was there enough of a world glut that others can supply Canada's share to China without creating opportunity/shortages elsewhere for Canada?.

·
Registered
607 Posts
China is really good at disrupting global trade to there benefit and to be honest where bringing a tooth pick to a gun fight.

Only thing that’s going to fix are problems is a weather wreck somewhere in the world or prices get bad enough to force a reset of farm debt, land rent and land values

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
If Ottawa cares not about Canadian farmers, you can bet that the Trump administration also doesn't care one whit. Sucks what the American government has done to us (either wittingly or unwittingly). Not very neighborly.

It's a chess game alright and neither we nor the federal government even have any real pieces in the game to begin with. This is a power and influence struggle between the US present administration and the Chinese regime. The best thing we can hope for is a Canadian judge to deny the America extradition request because the request is clearly politically motivated (even though Huawei is completely guilty of violating American sanction law, and also their CFO). Or we might be able to call Trump's bluff on this whole thing and just let her go today. But that would likely generate its own fallout in Washington (the revised NAFTA hasn't even been ratified by congress yet either). Definitely sucks to be in this position. Compared to the US and China we are nearly insignificant players. Even though China actually needs our stuff, which is the only hope we have for an eventual resolution.

My parents went to China a few years ago and said it was amazing, eye-opening, mind-boggling, and terrifying all at the same time. The sheer size of the population for one. On a river cruise they passed by several cities of a million or two people in each one and no one on the boat staff even knew what the names of the cities were. There are countless insignificant cities like that in China. They are a rising force to be reckoned with as the west continues its decline.

·
Registered
880 Posts
If Ottawa cares not about Canadian farmers, you can bet that the Trump administration also doesn't care one whit. Sucks what the American government has done to us (either wittingly or unwittingly). Not very neighborly.

It's a chess game alright and neither we nor the federal government even have any real pieces in the game to begin with. This is a power and influence struggle between the US present administration and the Chinese regime. The best thing we can hope for is a Canadian judge to deny the America extradition request because the request is clearly politically motivated (even though Huawei is completely guilty of violating American sanction law, and also their CFO). Or we might be able to call Trump's bluff on this whole thing and just let her go today. But that would likely generate its own fallout in Washington (the revised NAFTA hasn't even been ratified by congress yet either). Definitely sucks to be in this position. Compared to the US and China we are nearly insignificant players. Even though China actually needs our stuff, which is the only hope we have for an eventual resolution.

My parents went to China a few years ago and said it was amazing, eye-opening, mind-boggling, and terrifying all at the same time. The sheer size of the population for one. On a river cruise they passed by several cities of a million or two people in each one and no one on the boat staff even knew what the names of the cities were. There are countless insignificant cities like that in China. They are a rising force to be reckoned with as the west continues its decline.
I remember the Russians doing the same thing with the markets in the EU always jump one way then the other, what happened in the end, they bought lots of stuff cheap and for the last few tonnes they needed to keep things rolling they had to pay a plus. Don't forget they are still buying out of south america as soon as it warms up over here they will send their boats here and start loading again. Not much of our crop gets lost before seeding so why not lower the prices a bit more with some goverment bullshit, where do they wanna buy it from ones south america is running out? sure they can stop buying for a little bit but sooner or later someone will need to supply that massive canola demand they have.
everybody is worried about his seeding intensions, i;d be more worried about what is left in the bin... :D lol might have to build more bins and give it away later. have done it before not scared to do it again.

61 - 80 of 346 Posts