The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had experience with harvesting (windrows) canola that has SOME small grain in it & using Harvest Command?
And before some pile on …… no it wasnt windrowed too early!

Here‘s the issue. Normally canola & HC work exceptionally well & has done this year as well. However, I’ve now moved into canola that has some small grain in it & it’s adding to the trash level. So much so it’s at 5% !!!! I’ve seen some really sh.t samples of canola & never got anywhere near 5%.

I recently increased the sieve loss sensitivity to make the loss bar run closer to the “trigger point” for HC to do something. Normally no issues with this approach at all.
However, & this is the assumption part …….. with the sieve loss sensitivity higher (25%👆) HC has slowed the fan down to 620-640 range - try & reduce this sieve loss it’s detecting. Normally fan would be in the 680-720 range. So theory is, if I lower the sieve loss sensitivity (so it doesn’t detect the small grains) - this should make HC increase fan speed back to the normal running range & trash level (from small seeds) will be a thing of the past.
What‘s users of HC in canola & small grain issues experience here?

PS. No - turning automation off is not the answer!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Not real sure what you are asking?

It doesn’t take much small grain to increase the dockage because small grains are so heavy. And impossible to separate the heavier small grains out of the lighter/smaller canola, your only option is reduce your threshing so the small grains remain attached to the straw and ride out the rotor or over the chaffer.

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not real sure what you are asking?

So theory is, if I lower the sieve loss sensitivity (so it doesn’t detect the small grains) - this should make HC increase fan speed back to the normal running range & trash level (from small seeds) will be a thing of the past.

It doesn’t take much small grain to increase the dockage because small grains are so heavy. And impossible to separate the heavier small grains out of the lighter/smaller canola, your only option is reduce your threshing so the small grains remain attached to the straw and ride out the rotor or over the chaffer.

·
Ooohhh Deere
2,016 Posts
Turn the auto crap off and just drive it :LOL:

or the next rain and weather event will leave you nothing to harvest

Reactions: lynas

·
Super Moderator
31,206 Posts
So by that chart Rod what happens over 3% trash?
Appears it may be grading factor, here it’s just more dockage.

And no, I would never tell you to shut auto cleaning off, no human can touch Claas auto cleaning for cleaning nor loss.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
So why not set the fan range higher and then let automation play with getting it set? Setting the bottom end of the fan range up should blow the small crap over top of the loss sensor and not be measured.

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
You have to blow the small light stuff out at the chaffer, don’t you? Blowing it off the back of the sieve is going to send it through the return system and thrash it a few more times until it finally blows off above the chaffer or gets dense enough to snuggle into the clean grain sample. Finessing the opening of the chaffer is likely the solution, it could need opened or closed depending on what method you have set up on the chaffer. 🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So why not set the fan range higher and then let automation play with getting it set? Setting the bottom end of the fan range up should blow the small crap over top of the loss sensor and not be measured.
That’s maybe a way of doing it. I’ll reiterate …….it was all working fine in previous paddocks & previous year in canola but this crop seems to have some (enough) small grain in it PLUS I increased the sieve loss sensitivity by 25% …… so now it detects small grains …… & consequently slowed the fan. Going back the other way should speed the fan up - blow the small seeds out without them being detected.

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So by that chart Rod what happens over 3% trash?
Appears it may be grading factor, here it’s just more dockage.

And no, I would never tell you to shut auto cleaning off, no human can touch Claas auto cleaning for cleaning nor loss.
Well, according to the crowd where this canola is delivered, 5% or over, it’s piss off !!
Going to get it retested at another place just to make sure.

Yes ……. machine automation is way better than the heart beat on the seat!

·
Ooohhh Deere
2,016 Posts
Yes ……. machine automation is way better than the heart beat on the seat!
That’s not what Iam reading here............

my crappy old 8010’s can do a better sample than that, set by the steering wheel attendant as well:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep ..... theory ..... & in practice works.
So if you've got small grain in whatever you're harvesting with high sieve loss sensitivity, HC will slow the fan to stop loss - consequences of that aren't good in the likes of canola as it raises "trash levels" dramatically.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So if you use the ranges tab the keep the fan speed where you prefer it ??
Sieve loss sensitivity high - the eternal struggle between opening sieves and letting in trash and closing to detect more losses, resulting in low ground speed??
Still learning HC. First yr in and it does some amazing things. And it DOESN’T get tired!!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I don’t understand that, if you limit fan speed that should affect chaffer opening upsetting the balance between cleaning and loss.
CIH perhaps lacks enough data experience to auto control all facets of setting?
Actually quite the opposite. The Case system seems to have looked at the flaws in other systems and fixed a few things. Manually setting the ranges is a real plus, but it does require the operator to do some work.

Would love to have the claas machines have range settings as well, then things like rotor speed on the lexion could be set to a minimum speed instead of turning it the automatic separation off or the bottom sieve could be told on a lexion to not open past so many mm so the automatics would then stop opening the bottom sieve and dumping white caps in the tank, while trying to reduce tailings.

Having run both systems, I give the Claas a “B” and the Case an “A-“.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts