The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What canola varieties are people having the most luck with for straight cutting. How tall are they growing, are they creating a tight canopy, how is the shatter resistance and do you dessicate.

·
Super Moderator
2,790 Posts
What canola varieties are people having the most luck with for straight cutting. How tall are they growing, are they creating a tight canopy, how is the shatter resistance and do you dessicate.
Later today I'll be back to straight cutting 5440, done a bit already of leaning stuff, stubble left only 4" high, next is standing much better but had 12% hail damage on Sept 10th.
Did not dessicate.
Canopy not particularly tight on my next field.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I straight cut L130,L150 and 45H29. L150 was harder to cut because the stems were too long IMO. I didn't notice any significant shattering on any of the varieties. A wind only moved some neighboring swaths a little, and only seemed to shatter pods that were damaged by armyworms already.
I had planned on dessicating, but crop was maturing evenly so I didn't.
Also 130 and 29 yielded the same and I will grow them again. 150 was atleast 5 bushels less, so I think I'll let that stay in Bayer's shed.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Ok Im not sure how to get a new thread going so I’m just reviving this one . What are some good rr straight cut varieties , I’m looking at Brett young 6090 or Dekalb 75-65 . 255pc and 140p are our favs but this year I want rr and do not want to swath everything . Actually , I’d just as soon park the swather in the bush but old habits die hard . Pioneer straight cut has been a big disappointment the last two years with green being a bit of an issue and **** yield . Any comments appreciated thx

·
Registered
861 Posts
Invigor is the only true pod shatter resistant variety. Its has been changed at the genetic level for pod drop and pod opening. All other varieties have only been subjectively selected to have some resistance and therefore are not in the same league. If you need rr trait and still want to swath use the rr varieties where you will swath. Maybe leave a small field for a trial but anything you will staright cut use invigor...

·
Registered
202 Posts
We've had good luck with the DeKalb 75-65. But then haven't grown it against anything else for comparison purposes either. But the 75-65 seems to have very little shatter and seems to combine nice.

As an aside, the 75-65 currently has a deal on right now to buy 3 bags and get 1 free, which I think is a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
311 Posts
A little off topic, but I was wondering how the pod shatter resistant gene in Invigor varieties faired in a hail storm, compared to non pod shatter varieties. anybody have a side by side experience to share. any difference in yield?

·
Super Moderator
2,790 Posts
There was some testing last fall, mainly in SK, straight vs swath, report not released yet but will let you know when it is.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
It’s no question better when the seeds are already mature but it dings up the same as any when it’s green.

·
Registered
861 Posts
A little off topic, but I was wondering how the pod shatter resistant gene in Invigor varieties faired in a hail storm, compared to non pod shatter varieties. anybody have a side by side experience to share. any difference in yield?
Contact a basf rep. I was at a meeting this winter and they had some trials that got hailed on. The difference was substantial but i cannot remember exact numbers anymore.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I had 233 this year. Got hail and yield 3 bushel less than before. Neighbour got 8 less on none pod shatter Variety.
Take it for what it’s worth. I will not grow anything but pod shatter Variety’s.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Invigor is the only true pod shatter resistant variety. Its has been changed at the genetic level for pod drop and pod opening. All other varieties have only been subjectively selected to have some resistance and therefore are not in the same league. If you need rr trait and still want to swath use the rr varieties where you will swath. Maybe leave a small field for a trial but anything you will staright cut use invigor...
Changed at the genetic level? Hear that one from a salesman?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Bayer had the gene marked out for pod shattering in Invigor . The rest of crowd is just playing the marketing game for pod shattering and it really can’t preform like Invigor on my farm

·
Registered
249 Posts
Have tried a few different varieties but as already as has been mentioned its only the podshatter ones that perform well. Sure hope other seed companies come up with something to compete with the podshatter stuff. Price has gotten out of hand.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Bayer had the gene marked out for pod shattering in Invigor . The rest of crowd is just playing the marketing game for pod shattering and it really can’t preform like Invigor on my farm
Every time we compare them in the plot and go crunchy crunchy on the varieties its pretty hard to tell the difference. Wonder if its a regional/weather/location thing that makes a difference. Have used 7565 with the stripper header and seemed just fine. Probably get burned one of these years i am sure. Have the 7565 on a couple quarters out for the winter standing, should be a good test for its ability to hold up or not - especially with the stripper in the spring. I'll take pics.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I heard it from a scientist that works for them but you can keep on with your crunchy crunchy

A simple, quick google search results this...

"The pod shatter reduction trait is a genetic solution that allows the pod to stay intact instead of splitting or busting apart due to preventing seam formation of the pod. By making one small change to one gene, Lambert and his team eventually found the perfect formula to bring the pod shatter reduction trait to market.
Because of the breeding technique, the trait is non-transgenic"

if i remember correctly there is now two genes involved that have been isolated to reduce pod shatter and drop.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I straight cut both Pioneer and Invigor varieties. I cant tell much of a difference to be honest. Little if any yield difference (taking into account which parcel a given variety was seeded on). Invigor may have been slightly tougher chew the last couple years, and 234 didn't stand the greatest, but in NE Alberta we don't get much for big wind events. Ill keep splitting my ac for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
I heard it from a scientist that works for them but you can keep on with your crunchy crunchy

A simple, quick google search results this...

"The pod shatter reduction trait is a genetic solution that allows the pod to stay intact instead of splitting or busting apart due to preventing seam formation of the pod. By making one small change to one gene, Lambert and his team eventually found the perfect formula to bring the pod shatter reduction trait to market.
Because of the breeding technique, the trait is non-transgenic"

if i remember correctly there is now two genes involved that have been isolated to reduce pod shatter and drop.
Cross breeding changes genes. Is it a true or apparent gene?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Absolutely.
Only Invigor has pod shatter varieties.
Even the seed area reps from the competing companies will admit when cornered their so called "direct harvest" varieties do not even come close to Invigor pod shatter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts