The Combine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I farm in the Peace country in Alberta, Canada. Just wondering what kind of canola varieties are working for you and where you are farming. The Invigor 5020 has done very well for me and this year the RR 7145 Dekalb did well also. Both yielded in the 45-50 bu./acre range. Have heard a lot of mixed results on the 7145, trying to decide between 7145 and Pionner's 45H24. Any experiences?

In 2007 I'm gonna try the new 46P50 RR, it has a $10/T basis premium, it yielded %129 of checks but has a +2 maturity.

Also thinking of trying Invigor's new 9590. I used to grow half OP's but have found in stressful seasons the OP's just don't cut it compared to the hybrids. What are some thoughts out there?

Take care
Rich

·
Registered
224 Posts
Iam going to be growing Invigor 5020 and Brett Young's 4414RR next year in East Central Saskatchewan. This will be the first year for all hybrids on our farm. Even although a field of OP Canola was my best yielder last year.. I wish I would have seeded the 5020 over there!.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Why Invigor?

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone thinking of growing the Invigor 9590? Yeah I agree with the statement of the Invigor being superior. It is the only Group 10 and works as a wicked chemical rotation. It has surely been my highest yielding variety, the Dekalb 7145 last year was on par, 50 bu./acre. Have heard many mixed opinions on it though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We've been growing 80% Invigors 5030 and 5020 for a number of years. Have tried the balance in IP varieties like IMC and Nexera. I tell you theirs a reason they pay you a premium for that stuff. It doesn't even come close to the Invigors, I'm sticking to what I know, tired of being a ginny pig.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, the Dekalb 7145 is a roundup ready hybrid and yeah the invigor also I guess.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Quote:The Invigers can take the stress the the other canolas can,t seem to take. It can handle the heat and excess moisture. Plus it just out yields every thing

Can't say I agree with you. 5020 and 45H25 were equal for us this year. 2 fields split in half - 80 ac of each variety in each field - 320 acres total. Can't get a much better comparison for an on farm test. 45H25 was much more vigourous from emergence to bolting. As far as handling heat, both varieties did well considering we had less than 4" of rain and 6 weeks of hot dry weather with only 1/10". Heat hit right at flowering for us and didn't break until pod fill basically.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Quote:How many of these are the genetically-modified canolas? Just curious as I don't know about the varieties or hybrids of this crop.

Pretty much all the varieties in the thread are GMO. Nexera isn't. RR and Liberty Link (Invigor varieties) traits are genetic mods.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah that heat came right at the wrong time, surprisingly the yield was still good. That's the reason I am switching to %100 Hybrid, in stressful years they really show how much better they are compared to the OP's.

I'm doing a really good on farm trial in 07, I am going to do a side by side which will consist of: 40 acres of Dekalb 7145 - 40 acres of Proven 46P50 - 40 acres of Pionneer 45H25 - 40 acres of 45H26. Can't wait to see what kind of results we pull off. Will let you all know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts