The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never planted canola before and plan on planting some next year. Probably about 500 acres. Looking at planting Invigor L130 probably. Anyone else plant that and like it? Also is 500 acres too much to have if I wanna try and straight cut it all with one combine? Also feel free to give me other opinions on what a good seed variety is. I think I wanna go Libety link since I do raise some Roundup ready corn and soybeans also. Just to help with controlling volunteer canola. thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
We grew all L130 this past year, about 1000 acres, straight cut half and swathed half. I was very impressed with the shatter resistance of this variety and seen virtually zero shattered pods at time of straight cutting. L130 is what I have booked for next years crop as well and we will once again swath half and straight cut half. Have not priced L140P but if there is a premium for it I would definitely not pay for it based on what I have seen on my farm.

·
Registered
982 Posts
L140p hands down the best for straight cutting. I grew it and 73-75 and probably lost 10+ bu from shatter on the 73-75. The canola was very uneven this year so it took about 3 weeks for the green to catch up to the early ripe stuff after being dessicated and in that time there was lots of wind and rain. L140p took it like a champ. Lol

·
Super Moderator
5,241 Posts
First things first.

Kinda getting ahead of yourself here, how do you plan to seed?
Are you setup to safely handle the required fertilizer and shallow seeding depth?
Or will you use a planter and if so what row spacing?

So many questions
But, so much time to seeding.:)

I was almost scared to open this thread.;)

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kinda getting ahead of yourself here, how do you plan to seed?
Are you setup to safely handle the required fertilizer and shallow seeding depth?
Or will you use a planter and if so what row spacing?

So many questions
But, so much time to seeding.:)

I was almost scared to open this thread.;)

Yes setup to handle seeding canola. JD 1895 drill so can seed shallow and midrow band nh3 or canola blend of dry fertilizer. just have never had any interest in canola but need to stretch out wheat rotation some due to disease problems so looking to add some canola to the rotation.

·
Super Moderator
5,241 Posts
Yes setup to handle seeding canola. JD 1895 drill so can seed shallow and midrow band nh3 or canola blend of dry fertilizer. just have never had any interest in canola but need to stretch out wheat rotation some due to disease problems so looking to add some canola to the rotation.
Good, sounds like no hurdle there.

K then, the 640D with pea auger should work fine.

With your soil and climatic conditions on average would you guess a canola crop would have any sort of lean to it?
The more likely the answer is yes the less you need to be worried about shattering and more on just which variety should perform best in your area.
Canola a common crop in the area?
Any close plots or other farmers to compare notes with?

·
Premium Member
8,226 Posts
Also how is it to store canola in a bigger bin. 15k bins with full floor air canola floor with 20hp fan.
No problem if you harvest it dry. Tough canola is asking for trouble, lots of guys having heating issues this year with tough canola.

L140P is worth every penny, especially if straight-cutting. I would phone around for that variety PDQ, it may be close to sold out already.

·
Premium Member
6,151 Posts
We had 130 and 140p side by side and straight cut it. I saw very little difference in yield. I think straight cutting is very risky and highly over rated. We had swathed 130 on the same quarter that yielded every bit as good. I would not try to straight cut unless you pre harvest with roundup. Personally I would not invest $18 more per acre for 140p from what I saw on our farm. We are going to try 252 but am a bit nervous because we have had good luck with 130.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes

Good, sounds like no hurdle there.

K then, the 640D with pea auger should work fine.

With your soil and climatic conditions on average would you guess a canola crop would have any sort of lean to it?
The more likely the answer is yes the less you need to be worried about shattering and more on just which variety should perform best in your area.
Canola a common crop in the area?
Any close plots or other farmers to compare notes with?
yes canola is pretty common in my area. I am just 3 miles short of the Canadian border. I have talked to some of the neighbors that grow it and got some good info. Just thought I would ask the real professionals(Canadians) on how to grow their favorite crop. I didn't know that canola-snow-canola was a good rotation till I started going to Canada in the summer.lol Good yield here is 35-40bu though. Not quite as good as some of your areas in Canada.

·
Registered
382 Posts
We are putting 1/2 our canola acres into L140p next year. It was our best yielder last year and was also our first straightcutting canola. The only thing I didn't like about straightcutting is it takes longer to get in the bin. We used roundup but still took 10 to 14 more days compared to swathed stuff. Depending on weather we will still have option to swath the 140p if its necessary.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
We are going to try 252 but am a bit nervous because we have had good luck with 130.
We grew both varieties last year, about 50% of each, and L130 was the clear winner. Done a yield test on one field replicated twice, L130 yielded 8% more on both sides of the field. L252 was 3 days later and had a bit of a wave to it. L130 stood straight up. Also noticed more disease in the 252.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
At $18 an acre more for the L140P, you could hire somebody to custom swath it. We are trying a half section though. Going to leave it right to we are done swathing our other stuff and if we have time we will swath it and if not we will straight cut it. I can see a person growing a few acres every year just so you have a buffer when you are swathing, but not putting the whole farm into it at that price. We have tried straight cutting canola before and didn't like how long it took to mature.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.