The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the filter on our TR97 with the 7.5L and ever since have had nothing but trouble with air. You have to prime it each time you shut 'er down and restart, will run just fine otherwise. There is an air bubble in whatever the plastic bulb is under the lift/supply pump on occasion. I cracked the line just before the injection pump several times and got air out and did the same at the bleader on the filter housing. The only difference is a new filter which is a Napa and is some sorta improved reverse flow deal. So where would the air be coming from?

·
Premium Member
5,770 Posts
Check that plug on the bottom of the plastic bowl on the filter (the water drain). The rubber seems to get hard and doesn't seal right. Seems to let air in when its sucking hard, but not let the fuel out when its just sitting there. I also had the same problem, spent some time on that plug (sanded the hard spot off and the high points where the little holes were) and then replaced the rubber seals in the fuel lines. There are 4 of them on the steel lines before the pump and at the lift pump. I used to have to prime it every time it sat for a couple of days, but didn't have to once this harvest.

·
Registered
46 Posts
get rid of the napa 3231 with the bowl on the bottom and switch to a napa 3411 without the bowl just a drain we had the same problem with our tr97 and our 8970

·
Registered
444 Posts
The wix napa carquest filter wont work.
Have not tried the one without the bowl yet
but have one as a spare.

·
Registered
38 Posts
wehad trouble on tr99 but it was the gasket under the nut on the fuel line attached to filter. also have had trouble with hand pump.

·
Registered
11 Posts
have had the same ongoing problem for 5-6 years now. and it began when i replaced the fuel filter with a CarQuest/Wix filter. replaced with another and problem was resolved but only for a few hours. switched to a Baldwin that is a solid filter with a drain on it and it helped but no cure. then i placed a electric fuel pump in the line coming form the fuel tank thinking it would pump up and allow it to start without shutting down. worked for a few days? but the electric pump does give a more consistent motor RPM when under load. then replaced the check valve on the fuel return line on the injector pump. didn't help any. since i have just been living with it?

Car Quest rep was called in by dealer and he bet me $100 i had water in my fuel. they sent the both filters back to Wix to have them inspected and troubleshot..........after a coupla months dealer had my plastic bowl back with a reply of no water in filter and no known reason for failure? my problems started when i replaced a Car Quest Fuel filter with a New Car Quest filter. and that was the height of the problem as it would cut off when running with that filter, haven't had that before or since? they told me Wix switched to some space age type element that will not tolerate ANY moisture? well their own test showed i had no water but the only thing i can imagine is i have been using Biodiesel for years and this filter was not workable with soy diesel? but i don't understand why after switching that filter out the problem, those to lesser degree is still present today?

the solid Baldwin with the drain helped a great deal in the beginning but now it normally takes 3 tries and some excessive spinning to get the motor running. and replacing that filter with a new one does not help the problem now. when it sits in the off season, sometimes it start & run fine but when harvesting the problem starting is more pronounced.

i have tightened all lines that made no difference and have just accepted the problem as part of regular process now?

any ideas or known or rumored fixes for that matter to this problem is welcomed!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the same problem with a ford 7.8 liter engine in a Ford L8000 truck. It drove me nuts. It turned out to be dirt in the filter head. There is a check valve in filter head that was clogged up with dirt. This would cause the lift pump to suck very hard which caused air to be drawn in at any possible place such as the plastic bowl. In hindsight the truck had this problem for more than 2 years till it got bad enough that I had to fix it. The Ford service manual says to tee a vacume guage into line at lift pump inlet. I would have done this if I had the correct type fittings. So I did it the hard slow way of eliminateing everything else first. Hope this helps some one else.

·
Registered
33 Posts
we had this problem when our tr97 was new.The dealer ganged the filter housing,manual pump,lift pump and anything else he could think of. It just wouldn't start after it sat very long unless you manually pumped it with the hand pump first. Never used anything but ford filters. It still does it today but only after it sits for a week or more.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Had the same problem with a TM165 and you wouldn't get it going again until you bled the injectors. Changed everything from solenoid to filters. Finally pulled off the fuel line and blew compressed air back through it and wrapped the ends with teflon tape before putting hose back on with those cheap plastic connectors. Has worked right ever since.

·
Registered
11 Posts
thanks to all for the fixes and also to others whom still work with the problem as i.

tx68, i wish it was that simple but as you can see it seems to be a common problem with numerous possible fixes. mine was running fine with a Car Quest filter installed. i had changed to a Soy diesel blend earlier that year and this was this first engine i had that saw the fuel filter show signs of "dirting up" after changing to the Soy blend. once it starting losing power i switched out the OLD CAR QUEST/WIX fuel filter to a new Car Quest filter and developed instant problems.

i'm gonna take the filter base off and examine it closely, if nothing there problematic shows up i will start removing lines and replacing those rubber gaskets.

what a strange problem this seems to be that haunts so it appears quite a few different Ford/NH motors?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts