The Combine Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious if anyone has done a side by side between these 2 class size combines in soybeans. I think in corn (below 20%) the clean grain elevator is the limiting factor so I don't see the advantage of the extra power. If you were cutting 50 to 60 bushel soybeans with a 30 foot draper, could the 2588 (6088) pick you up an extra mile per hour? We bought a performance chip, but I think that these chips are very overated. I am assuming that the 30% is actually only giving us an extra 20 horsepower. We can pick up almost .5 mph with the chip in the 30% position. Maybe I was expecting too much and the extra horsepower just doesn't go that far.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Capacity in corn is a non-issue it seems to me. Around here, dryers and elevators are full of corn so fast, you cant run the combine much anyway. Rain isn't as much a factor in corn either. Besides, when God invented corn, it was with a rotary in mind.
And yes, the clean grain transport is the limiting factor in corn hands down.

Now beans are another story, since rain is always an issue, the elevators can handle all you send them, dryers are rarely needed etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts