The Combine Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just been told I need to replace my fuel pump on my MX285. It has just under 6000hrs on it and they mentioned changing my injectors also. I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this project, if it is necessary to change the injectors as well, and if I don't change them right now could it cause more damage or problems down the road.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'd recommend Area Diesel Kit too. I bought my blue version of the 285 and it had a rebuilt caps pump with 600hrs warranty and it started throwing codes and loosing power at 700hrs. I got in touch with a Scheid diesel IN, and they helped me with advice and supplied most of my parts to convert to mechanical pump. But you need to change all the injector lines and thats the biggest problem, you have to get aftermarket and the ones i got started leaking and breaking at 200hrs. They sent another set for warranty but the same thing happened. When you have to change one pipe for every 10-25 hours that you run, pretty soon you feel like going for dynamite instead of Parts. Area diesel states that their lines are oem quality. Also their injector pump comes with the supply pump on it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Replaced the CAPS pump on my MX240 got it from The Diesel Store. Best price good turnaround and after 400 hours can't complain easy install and they supply all shipping to and your core back in the USA if out of country have it shipped to a border crossing and go and get it.

Just my $0.02, John

·
Registered
355 Posts
Wow! I'm relieved now. Have just traded my 285 and it goes in 3 days time with 10600 hrs on it. Apparently caps pump was done at 3000 hrs before we got it and never touched it since. Now I'm scared to start it reading this. Just Hope it starts to get on truck and off the property now. Have seen a couple of caps pump codes start get thrown up recently to. Great tractor otherwise.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Weapon I was wondering how many hours you have on that pump now and if you are still satisfied. I am just now getting to fixing this and wondered if The Diesel Store is the way I should go. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I agree with weapon. Local Case IH dealer wanted $4800 for rebuilt CAPS pump. I got a rebuilt one from a local cummins diesel shop for $2300. This was 3 years ago and put 1500hrs on the tractor with no problems. Traded it this past fall though because hydraulic pump gave out. Case IH dealers just want waaaayyy too much money fro parts. Regrettably we have to buy some from them. At least we can source out some stuff and save at times.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The dealership can get parts for the caps pump. I replace the accumulator that is on top with the two solenoids and the injection control valve under it. Those two are the only issues we see. The accumulator causes codes, hard starting when hot and a few cases diesel in oil. Injection control valve , codes ,no start.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.