The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't see too many grain carts ship with tire packages that are adequate or ideal. In fact, a lot of carts ship new with tires that aren't even remotely close to carrying the equipment with a full load.

I'd say the primary reason is to keep costs down. Likely wouldn't go over too well if the manufacturers sold the equipment with $15,000-20,000 higher price tags to allow some IF/VF tires and keep pressures low.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 900's on your cart are running at the very maximum of their load table.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just pulled a set of bottom barrel bias tires from an OE machine this morning that were only capable of carrying a bit over half of the rated load at max pressure.

Bit of a sad experience knowing there are manufacturers out there who care more about lowering cost than sending equipment out the door ready to work as promised.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Just pulled a set of bottom barrel bias tires from an OE machine this morning that were only capable of carrying a bit over half of the rated load at max pressure.

Bit of a sad experience knowing there are manufacturers out there who care more about lowering cost than sending equipment out the door ready to work as promised.

X2 I have been through this under spec tire thing many times in the last few years. With 900 bu air tanks and 43,000 lb combines with 400 bu hoppers AND 8-10,000 lb headers sticking way out front, the weights on 2 900s is crazy. 30-40,000 pounds on each tire! Most of these run of the mill tires are only rated for 15- 20,000 pounds each. I was airing up a 900 x 32 yesterday to 40 psi and it was making me nervous. It is like sitting on a live bomb!! Duals certainly helps but are we at the point of needing industrial tires? Or tracks??

I think we need to check the maximum pressure specs on our specific tires very carefully before we go and put 40 or 50 psi into them, not even in a cage with a clip on chuck. Some tires just are not designed for that much air, not to mention older tires with separation and/or bead damage from running overloaded, underinflated, or other damage. It makes me nervous!

·
Registered
88 Posts
X2 I have been through this under spec tire thing many times in the last few years. With 900 bu air tanks and 43,000 lb combines with 400 bu hoppers AND 8-10,000 lb headers sticking way out front, the weights on 2 900s is crazy. 30-40,000 pounds on each tire! Most of these run of the mill tires are only rated for 15- 20,000 pounds each. I was airing up a 900 x 32 yesterday to 40 psi and it was making me nervous. It is like sitting on a live bomb!! Duals certainly helps but are we at the point of needing industrial tires? Or tracks??

I think we need to check the maximum pressure specs on our specific tires very carefully before we go and put 40 or 50 psi into them, not even in a cage with a clip on chuck. Some tires just are not designed for that much air, not to mention older tires with separation and/or bead damage from running overloaded, underinflated, or other damage. It makes me nervous!

Yeah, it is definitely scary having that much air volume at 40-50psi let go. Can be quite the explosion.
Tire manufacturers have been stepping up their game to meet the weight requirements in the past few years here, but unfortunately the more demanding the specs are, the higher $$$ the tire solution will be.

And all this means nothing if the equipment manufacturers are slapping on less than adequate tire packages to keep costs down.

It can be a nerve racking experience trying to explain to a customer why his 2 month old grain buggy tires that failed aren't covered under manufacturers warranty because they were run severely overloaded. It's especially tough because it's not the farmers fault, he was using the equipment for what it was rated for (so he thought)

Makes it even harder telling him why instead of replacing the existing tires for $1400 each, he needs a $3000 tire to carry the actual axle loads of the machine.

I really don't enjoy being put in that position because of someone else being dishonest or slimy.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Anything more than 11'psi is going to cause severe compaction. If 11 psi isn't going to keep the rim off the field you need more tires or tracks.
Exactly! So why do the manufacturers keep building this underspec equipment? Cause we keep buying it! Cause wheat is $5.00 in this economy and we can't afford to put on the rubber we would like. I have a bumper sticker from the late 70's on my shop wall "A bushel of wheat for a barrel of oil"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.