The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently running a Case 1240 15/30 split row planter. When planting beans, occasionally I have problems with the reverse concave closing discs flipping soil right out of the seed trench on my row units that follow directly behind the planter and tractor tracks. I've spent a lot of time experimenting with different spring down pressures (on the closing discs) and haven't had much success light or heavy. Its only a real problem in the heavier ground, think black heavy Red River gumbo. The same type of soil conditions that give the JD pinch closing wheels a hard time getting the seed trench to close. Are there any other IH planter guys out there that have experienced this and have a solution? I'm considering trying a single spike closing disc on each unit. This years planting conditions are going to be a challenge, next to nothing for tillage got done in the fall last year in our part of Manitoba, and I've little experience of planting into zero till.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Check out yetters. Also needham ag and shoup. They have various configurations to closing rows. I had a 900 caseih for seeding corn and beans and couldn’t make the crappy inverted discs work. I’m in gumbo too. Changed the closing system over to the Deere rubber closing wheels. It was head and shoulders better but not perfect behind tractor or cart wheels. I’d reckon there would be mileage in a spiked and rubber wheel combination. You tube will have weeks of watching on different ways to overcome your issue.

·
Registered
198 Posts
try the spiked closing disks shoup sells. I put them on my 1240 16/31 and it seemed to help quite a bit.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I should add, they replace the concaved disks, not the entire packer system. If I remember right they where $50ish a row to do

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
try the spiked closing disks shoup sells. I put them on my 1240 16/31 and it seemed to help quite a bit.
Did you switch over both concave discs, or run a combination of the two? I was thinking i'd try a combination of spiked/concave to start.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts