The Combine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was crossing through a lightly sloped ditch (I keep it cut with rotary mower) and dropped through the ice. Combine ended up dropping front end in and the back end is still up high on solid ground. Because of this the head is on the ground and cant go up any higher. I've tried pulling it out but cant seem to get it to go anywhere and the tires just spin. Just wondering If theres any ideas to try and get it out. I think if the head was off it would come out easy but I cant put the feeder house down at all to do that so im in a tough spot.

·
Registered
464 Posts
If the front tires are that deep I would punch the ice out behind them if that makes sense. Otherwise the front wheels need to move vertical before they can go horizontal. Pulling gets lots easier if there isn't a hole to be drug out of.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Can you get anything under the front wheels (railway sleepers etc? Access to a loader/excavator to lift front end to do this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dug the hole out but the head is pretty firm on the ground and I still cant get it to pull. I'm not quite sure how I would lift the front end. I was thinking about that but I dont know that a loader could get under the axle to lift it. Somehow I have to get the front end and the head up.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
I’m sure a big tow truck for heavy trucks would winch it out just fine. They will have something that can anchor their truck that bites into frozen ground. It’s surprising what even an autotive sized unit can winch out. A modest sized bulldozer with grouser pads would work as well.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Some pictures would help. Are you able to get a chain on both sides of the axle? And how far down are the tires off solid ground?

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Not to bug you when you least need it, but when I read the title of this thread, it almost has a hint of a song to it!

My Case 1660 is stuck in a ditch,
Sometime life is such a b#*ch.

·
Registered
323 Posts
bent suggests digging out behind the front wheels. Without seeing pics of it I wonder about digging around/under the back wheels and axle instead. If it will go down on the back end this should tip the header up a bit. As suggested try and get some planks or something under the front tires to keep it from going lower when you start to pull.

·
Registered
271 Posts
bent suggests digging out behind the front wheels. Without seeing pics of it I wonder about digging around/under the back wheels and axle instead. If it will go down on the back end this should tip the header up a bit. As suggested try and get some planks or something under the front tires to keep it from going lower when you start to pull.
That or dig under the header.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That could be a good song. I tried digging down the back tires but getting underneath the tires is difficult because the ground is still very frozen. I've got an excavator guy coming today to look at it to see what he could do. I thought about digging under head but the machine could only get so far under. I think I might dig behind front tires and put some rail ties under to see if we can pull it up onto them

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Be carefull you do not stretch the combine. Real easy with enough horsepower.A cable on front axle tied up under is a good help. Put this on before things get dicey

·
Registered
105 Posts
My dad sunk ours same deal few years ago he used a bottle jack and jacked it up and slowly blocked it up till it drove out few guys around said if they tried to pull they would of just ripped it apart

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
If you could get a chain through the wheel spoke you could tie a large log or rail road tie to the outside of the wheel crossways to the direction of travel and then reverse and by the wheel turning it will lift the whole combine up and push it back out of the hole . But you should have something there to hold the tire up after the revolution so you can remove the log . ( a poor mans unstucker )

·
Registered
393 Posts
If it was possible to unlatch the bottom of the header then the head could be lifted away from the combine with a trackhoe . That would be one less thing to get broken or abused. Then if it won’t pull without stretching it I’d lift around the wheels with a trackhoe and get something under it to raise it out of the hole. Gravel would be easier than ties. Either way you do it the last thing you want is anything broken once your out. Better to cough up some money getting it out safely and in one piece. Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts