The Combine Forum banner

case 3020 flex feeding in wheat

10K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  torriem 
#1 ·
i run a 7230 with an 3020 35' and having problem feeding steady in wheat anybody ever encounter that kind of problem? and solution ?

#7 ·
I assume you've brought the stripper plates closer to the flighting? Other than that I don't know of anything else to try. I know on the 2020, once the header was 30' or wider, the frame would twist and the auger would sag, making feeding horrible. Thought perhaps they improved it on the 3020.

#10 ·
Julien, I think I can fix you header. first move the auger forward a lot, might have to raise it as well. Have a machine shop get some half inch thick by 3 inch heavy plastic and slot it to the adjustable groves on the stripper. Move the auger so it touches the plastic and then set to feed correctly, would tell you exact specs but we have 2 2010 headers very close serial and they are set totally different. Could check our timing on the fingers it you would like just let me know

#14 ·
The biggest thing is having the plastic against the auger flighting so it can't roll the crop. Having the auger roughly an inch further forward helps to grab the crop as well which is very important going downhill or on the downhill side of the header. I believe our fingers are set at 2 to 3 o'clock fully extended but that could be totally different on a levelland machine without the paddle beater. We also run the flighting extentions on both the headers. The height of the auger off the bottom is whatever works for the machine and the crop, we have a 2388 and a 7088 both with hillco levelers and 2010 headers and the auger height off the bottom is totally different on them. I hope this helps, I will check tonight late, we are in the middle of seeding next years crop so long hours these days. Good luck with harvest.

#15 ·
i've checked the finger timing on my auger and it's at 4 o'clock so i corrected it and i adjust the auger flight as close as possible to the floor it was a 1 inches from buttom and push it forward the biggest challenge is the stripper back of the auger i'll check to find some plastic thanks for the infos 2388h

#23 ·
We've had our MacDon flex draper for 4 or 5 years now with no issues. Some day I expect to have to replace the draper belts, but probably not for another 4 or 5 years. The factory ones are one piece, but I think the replacement belts probably use a bolt together seam. Our old MacDon swather is still going strong for its second after more than 10 years. Original drapers too, just maybe a single roller bearing replaced in all that time. And modern rubberized drapers never need to be un-tensioned like was required on the old swathers with canvases. V belts also ensure the drapers always track perfectly.

In wheat a draper header feeds quite a bit more evenly than an auger header. Some people say that gives them more capacity and more grain-on-grain threshing as the heads come in first. And the MacDon flex draper is certainly pretty good in short beans. Being able to pull the reel back across the cutter bar to clear it when you need to is so nice. With an auger header there's always a dead spot between the knife, reel, and auger that is hard to clear off, especially in a thin crop on a sandy field.

We certainly love ours and will never go back to an auger header. But I'm glad yours is working acceptably for you now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.