The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a 4494 to buy. It has 6000 hrs The owner says the engine and transmission has not ever been worked on. I think it was used for tillage jobs. What do you think about having to work on something and when?

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
If it made it to 6k without any major work, it must have been taken care of. Not that they are bad rigs, just that if abused, they will need expensive repair before 6k.

One thing that does seem to come up in conversation about the crab steered tractors is the electronic steering potentiometers go bad.I had an experience with that issue in a 4694 one time, and while going down the road with a disk, the rear end steered to the ditch, pointing me into oncoming traffic. Thankfully no one was coming up and I could get straightened out. I think the issue is stopped by putting the steering into front steer only when on the road. But someone with more experience will have to verify that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The weakest spot on any of the 70 to 94 series case's is the power shift. When it goes, it's sudden and a major repair, 18k to 25k. Bought a 1370 years ago for 5,000, got 1,500 hours out of it before it blew. Just sold it to the wreckers for 2,500 and picked up another one at sale. Had similar experience with 1896 too. My neighbor went through two 4694's blowing powershifts, then he got a 4894 and is going on 12 years with no problem. He said the 4894 has a way heavier duty powershift than the two smaller ones, which were know to blow if pulled too hard.

·
Super Moderator
5,041 Posts
One thing that does seem to come up in conversation about the crab steered tractors is the electronic steering potentiometers go bad.I had an experience with that issue in a 4694 one time, and while going down the road with a disk, the rear end steered to the ditch, pointing me into oncoming traffic. Thankfully no one was coming up and I could get straightened out. I think the issue is stopped by putting the steering into front steer only when on the road. But someone with more experience will have to verify that.
You bring back quite the memory.:)
I rented I think it was a 4490 in 1982 to pull harrow packers.
It was new but the rear wheels would sometimes steer in the field without being asked but they squared up quickly again.

Until...going full speed down the road one day, definitely in front steer only as recommended, rear wheels steered right, ended up in left ditch at 90 degree angle to the harrow packers which were basically still straight in road position. No damage done.:eek: PFL!

While going full speed that wasn't all that fast back in those days, that same event today would be catastrophic as fast as tractors are now.

This gets better.:)
Shop sends mechanic out to look at it, while we were standing talking the back wheels started jockeying around. No one in the cab.
Rear steer system was disabled, we just ran without it the rest of the spring.

Permentately scarred, I was forever turned off by that type of Case tractor.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
The weakest spot on any of the 70 to 94 series case's is the power shift. When it goes, it's sudden and a major repair, 18k to 25k. Bought a 1370 years ago for 5,000, got 1,500 hours out of it before it blew. Just sold it to the wreckers for 2,500 and picked up another one at sale. Had similar experience with 1896 too. My neighbor went through two 4694's blowing powershifts, then he got a 4894 and is going on 12 years with no problem. He said the 4894 has a way heavier duty powershift than the two smaller ones, which were know to blow if pulled too hard.
Wow you were quoted some high numbers. Did a power shift on a 2294 not that long ago, the tractor would move but had major issues, the bill was just over $6000. Never heard anyone spending that much on these tractors.
The power shifts did not go if pulled hard? The most issues came if you shifted often/unnecessarily under heavy load, but if used sparingly and shifted before heavy load was applied they would last a long while.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
You bring back quite the memory.:)
I rented I think it was a 4490 in 1982 to pull harrow packers.
It was new but the rear wheels would sometimes steer in the field without being asked but they squared up quickly again.

Until...going full speed down the road one day, definitely in front steer only as recommended, rear wheels steered right, ended up in left ditch at 90 degree angle to the harrow packers which were basically still straight in road position. No damage done.:eek: PFL!

While going full speed that wasn't all that fast back in those days, that same event today would be catastrophic as fast as tractors are now.

This gets better.:)
Shop sends mechanic out to look at it, while we were standing talking the back wheels started jockeying around. No one in the cab.
Rear steer system was disabled, we just ran without it the rest of the spring.

Permentately scarred, I was forever turned off by that type of Case tractor.
I had heard of the rear steering "quivering" when no one was in the cab and scaring the heck out some people when hitching the tractor up to an implement.

But on the plus side, the tractors were some of the few with closed center hydraulics in the day and they worked very well.

Do you remember the old IH 4100?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I am looking at a 4494 to buy. It has 6000 hrs The owner says the engine and transmission has not ever been worked on. I think it was used for tillage jobs. What do you think about having to work on something and when?
We have a CaseIH 4894 with a Scandia engine and like it.
The biggest problem since we got it was the board in the monitor quit working.
(The dash changed from the 90 to 94 series.......we also have a 4890 and never had any issues.)

A weird thing that can happen with these tractors is while idling the steering can randomly start shaking, which does happen every blue moon.
I talked to a farmer lately who said he had this happen to him on a 4694 and it ended up being a $200 hydraulic sensor.....still have to check that out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wow you were quoted some high numbers. Did a power shift on a 2294 not that long ago, the tractor would move but had major issues, the bill was just over $6000. Never heard anyone spending that much on these tractors.
The power shifts did not go if pulled hard? The most issues came if you shifted often/unnecessarily under heavy load, but if used sparingly and shifted before heavy load was applied they would last a long while.
Had 2 quote's from different dealers on the 1896, both about the same, 8,000 for parts and 10, 000 for labour, after market parts were a little cheaper but I had no interest in doing it myself. Was a little more for the 1370. There were still plenty of 600 to 1200 acre farms around here 20 years ago, tons of 2290's and 2390's and tons of power shifts went around 3 to 4000 hour mark. May have been abuse too...

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
We do our own powershifts on the 22/2390s we have left, it's been a couple years now but I can't recall ever putting more then two grand into parts. You can rebuild the full powershift in them in a couple days easy from the time you drive the tractor in till you drive it out. Installing filters in the oil supply lines to the shift valves has really reduced issues with the valve bodies for the powershifts.
The four wheel drives would be more work but I think you can still do all the work on them by just removing the engine. We put around three thousand hours on our 4690 which we bought used and most of those hours were dozer work. I was a kid and kind of abusive to the transmission most would probably say as while doing dozer work I would skip second on the powershift and go straight to third. We never did any transmission work other then tweaking the control valve. We had no real issues with the rear wheel steering either.
It was a fun tractor to operate, I would often crab steer it going down the road to scare the neighbors, I also drove it down the road backwards a few miles showing off to the the operators of the 2290s I could go faster backwards then them forward (there was no fourth gear lockout for reverse in that tractor for some reason).

Today I would suggest to anybody that buys one to keep the powershifting to a minimum under load, don't use third in the powershift if you have a choice, never park the tractor with the powershift in reverse. Maybe turn the power screw in the fuel pump back to factory to reduce smoke and enjoy their tractor.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Had 2 quote's from different dealers on the 1896, both about the same, 8,000 for parts and 10, 000 for labour, after market parts were a little cheaper but I had no interest in doing it myself. Was a little more for the 1370. There were still plenty of 600 to 1200 acre farms around here 20 years ago, tons of 2290's and 2390's and tons of power shifts went around 3 to 4000 hour mark. May have been abuse too...
$10000 labour??? You could rebuild that entire tractor from fan blade to hitch pin and not be at ten grand on labour.
Somebody in those needed collage tuition for their kid ;)

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Don't think Rocky mountain equip needs any more money! :)
That's why the tractors went to the wreckers and got auction replacement ones for 5 or 6.
That's the nice thing about these tractors, there are so many out there that sell reasonable that good replacements are easy to find.:)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I really like these tractors...so much that we have 5 or 6 of them 4490's Used to be able to buy them cheap a few years ago..like $7000-$8000. now they are closer to the $15,000... 4494's bring a bit more. Yeah they can have their issues like others said with their powershifts and steering...but once your familiar with them you know what to expect... Depending on how it was used and how often the oil changes were done...you can expect to rebuild the engine around the 7000 hour mark...but they are cheap to rebuild...I just recently rebuilt a 504 and the inframe rebuild kit was $1400 and the heads cost me about $600 to get redone. One way to check if the transmission might need rebuilding soon is to sit in the tractor with the engine reved right up then cycle through the powershift ranges...if you can feel excessive vibration...it might mean a rebuild may be in order soon. But usually I haven't seen or heard of shops bills much more then $8000. Around that many hours it will probably need one soon...so allow for it in the purchase price. If they were abused...they can be a money pit. If you are willing to fix them yourself there is tons of jobber parts and used parts around to keep them going. The steering sensors do go haywire... and those aren't cheap... I cant recall what they cost...but I believe around $6-700. Goodluck.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Third is an overdrive ratio, same as reverse, you can hear the gears whining in there. If the drum is a little out of balance it makes it harder on the power shift.

It's mainly my opinion. Noise + vibration = wear and tear.

·
Registered
44 Posts
the steering sensor in mine went south on me and I got told $900 ish so I just learned to deal with it.

the last time I sent my 4490 to town for a full powershift rebuild it was just shy of 17000 by the time it was hauled both ways and had a new turbo thrown in it

They're not cheap trannys to do but if you can put an operator in them that likes the tractor and will take care of it, you should be fine for quite a while

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
the steering sensor in mine went south on me and I got told $900 ish so I just learned to deal with it.

the last time I sent my 4490 to town for a full powershift rebuild it was just shy of 17000 by the time it was hauled both ways and had a new turbo thrown in it

They're not cheap trannys to do but if you can put an operator in them that likes the tractor and will take care of it, you should be fine for quite a while
Can`t believe you are getting charged that much? $17000 that's more than that tractor is worth.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.