The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, has anyone here upgraded the turbo of a case 4690? Seems like they put too small of one on from the factory, they all seem to smoke under load and run higher egt's as well. I know that the poor case 504 was at its limit with the power they were squeezing out of it, but there has to be a better turbo option available. I'm not looking for more power, just to help solve the EGT/Smoke issues these things have. I've heard of people using whats called a 3lM466 or a S2E turbo on 200+/- hp tractors, but i can't seem to find specs on them or where to even find one here in Alberta, Canada. What about a new stock replacement turbo from a case 4890? I'm open to options, and obviously a bolt on turbo would be ideal, but definitely not necessary.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Could you set up to injection it of propane to clean up the smoking issues by getting a more complete fuel burn? Or am I just chasing gophers in left field while the ballgame is played

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
four and five hole injectors is the difference
4890 is a Scandia engine not even a close match
I'm aware the 4890 has an 11L Scania vs 8.3case, was just wondering on if a turbo from the larger tractor would be an option seeing there was only a 40 engine hp difference between the two.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could you set up to injection it of propane to clean up the smoking issues by getting a more complete fuel burn? Or am I just chasing gophers in left field while the ballgame is played
Probably possible, but not very viable for all day field use I would think.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Make sure the vortices are clean and clear. That's the little circles in the air intake up in the front by the radiator. We had a 4490 smoke under load and found mud dobbers built several of their mud nests in those holes restricting air flow. I know it's kind of a simple fix but it took us a while to find the issue and correct it. Just something simple to check and may solve the issue without spending a lot of money.

·
Registered
233 Posts
We did have a 2670 we ran for years, if it was going there would be a mile long smoke trail from it, 2670 was the earlier version. Yes the turbo looks like a toy in comparison to the 2870/4890, but to fit one of these turbos would mean big changes, manifold ect.
What you can do with yours is find a good turbo shop, & explain whats going on, & they can change the vanes inside that can make a difference!
One thing I would do first if you haven't is fit a boost gauge to it, we found once you get to know were it runs, is as soon as something started to go wrong you would notice this in loss of boost. Ours use to run at over 150 kpa boost. I know our 2870 runs at a max of 70kpa.
Good luck, I liked the 2670 more than the bigger one.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I seem to remember that the reasons the pyrometers were added was to prevent head gaskets from blowing. Now that was on the older 1200/1470 s but the 4690 was just a new version of those older units. So you might not want to put a bigger turbo on there without doing some research.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts